As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, March 08, 2019

Such an Honour, Thank You... Friday, March 8

Almost a year ago I did a photoshoot where I was told I'd be the everyday hero paired up with a fictional character hero.  Today a picture from that shoot was finally released on social media, see above, and below my pic they quoted my piece of advice to my fellow females, see below.
"One of the biggest pieces of advice I can give women trying to better themselves is to be selective with who they surround them self with. You become what you surround yourself with. Energy is contagious, both good energy and bad energy, so make sure the energy that surrounds you is worth you catching. It’s hard to stay positive, to push yourself and to grow and we all have our obstacles and setbacks so it’s all that more important to really keep your circle tight and positive. When you surround yourself with individuals that inspire you, it makes a world of a difference. 
Having lived in Korea for 11.5 years, I know all too well the obstacles and struggles that come with being a woman in a male dominated society. I pretty much went against every social expectation that was set for me to follow as a woman. I was a female entrepreneur, a woman with tattoos and muscle, a married but happily childless woman, and a female pro boxer in a sport labeled “only for men”. So how did I do it? It wasn’t easy but I felt the only way I made it work was just to own who and what I was. I didn’t let anyone define me; I defined myself. And that, owning who you are, would be my biggest piece of advice for women really trying to become empowered. You’ll never please everyone but you can please yourself and at the end of the day, when you look at yourself in the mirror, it’s only your reflection looking back at you. If you’re happy with what you see, proud of what you see looking back, then that is all that honestly really matters. You’ve got one life to live and it’s short enough so don’t waste it pondering what others think of you. You do you, it’s what you do best. Live life on your terms and do what makes you happy but own it. Be loud and proud to be you."
-- Amy is a professional female mini flyweight boxer. She is the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, a female-only boxing & functional training center. She also leads the Lil’ Sistas project, an outreach program for underprivileged girls.

No comments: