As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, April 15, 2019

Hell Week... Monday, April 15

Welcome to Holy Week, or "Hell Week" as I like to call it.  Holy Week is right up there with Christmas and New Year's; it's a time when I frown for most of the day, feel like a grinch, and complain about not being able to maintain my boss babe hustle because everyone else is off enjoying the holiday.

"Just relax then", said someone. 

Clearly they don't know me. 
Clearly they don't know what it means to be an entrepreneur.

I'm opening up the physical location for my company and moving into it in about 2 weeks.  I'm a jump-and-learn-how-to-fly-after kind of girl but that comes with a lot of faith in what I'm doing, a bit of nuts in the head, and a pure need and crazy focused drive to succeed.  

To tell you the truth, I shift from feeling overwhelmed about this next chapter in my life to feeling excited and relieved that it's finally here.  To think that I've been looking for a place for over a year now for my company and it's finally happening, wow.  I'm glad it's taken a year though because in that time my vision and my business plan has most definitely evolved.  It went from me hating the thought of personal training and wanting to open up a massive boxing club to absolutely loving personal training and wanting to open up a private, members only club.  My feeling and acceptance of what it means to be a coach has definitely shifted too.  I am a coach, a friend, a mentor, a shoulder to lean on, a therapist, and sometimes even a comedian too (despite the cheesiness of my jokes).  I've taken on more roles as a personal training coach than I ever have with anything else and it's only making it harder for me to make the change from traveling to all my clients and being so readily available for them to trying to get some of them to travel to me and perhaps even having to drop a few because of the schedule conflicts and wanting to really utilize the clubhouse space.

I have a lot on my plate right now and coaching my fighters one-to-one is what really fuels the fire within me, keeps my passion alive as well as my plate full.  Without my clients, there's a lot of quiet time spent hovering over the computer, typing out my ideas, and silent hours spent with just me, myself and I.

No comments: