As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, April 20, 2019

Spelling It All Out... Saturday, April 20

How do you know when you're being too overprotective and demanding and then just flat out uptight?  Random question to ask here, perhaps, but it's in line with my Lil' Sistas Program so it's very much appropriate.  

I've been having some select issues with volunteers who have been offering to volunteer.

Whether it's volunteers showing up in inappropriate clothes, posting pictures online of the girls faces (which they've been directly told not to), others showing up late, and some just not really helping at all but instead being more like another participant in the class for me to teach, I'm thinking about scrapping the whole idea of taking on volunteers.  Just say to no to everyone this way it is fair, I'm not showing favourites, and the burden of running the entire class goes back on my shoulders.

I would just love ONE volunteer to ask me, "Amy, how can I help you?"

Today I took my youngest volunteer to the Center of Hope to coach my biggest crew of Lil' Sistas and when I picked her up, she jumped into the van with a massive bag of goodies... gummies!!! She just returned from studying in Germany and brought ALL the girls containers upon containers of gummy bears.  She even had her friends help carry them on the plane for her because she almost maxed out her suitcase weight capacity.  The girls were happy to see her, she's been away for about a month, but they went completely bunkers when she surprised them with the candy.

This volunteer is a keeper.  If she were any better, she'd be as hyper as me and be fluent in Tagalog but so far we haven't had any issue with our larger, older crew of Lil' Sistas.  They don't struggle with the English language as much as the girls in Taguig do.  

Tonight, long after coaching the Lil' Sistas, I sat down and jotted down all the good, the bad and the ugly that bringing along volunteers has brought about and then I typed up a volunteer consent form based on all of it.  Honestly, I more or less based it on my best volunteer and my worst volunteer and here's what I came up with so far.  Maybe it's too uptight or full of common sense, but maybe it's exactly what I need so that there's no room for confusion or further frustration.  Read it over and tell me what you think.  Let me know also if there's anything you'd add to it.


Lil’ Sistas Program Volunteer Consent and Liability Release Form 

General Statement of Volunteer Role, Expectations, and Procedures:
  • I am not allowed to use my cellphone when I’m with the Lil’ Sistas -- no pictures, no text messages, no phone calls. 
  • I give Empowered the right to take pictures/videos of me volunteering and post them on their social media.  
  • My position is to help assist running the activities and not to be an active participant because I am there to motivate the Lil’ Sistas, help with crowd management and assist with the setting up and packing up of the equipment.  
  • I am to wear the Empowered Clubhouse shirt provided to me and training leggings or jogging pants of my choosing but ones that are respectable and not see through.  
  • I understand that I am to treat the Lil’ Sistas, the staff, the facility and its equipment with respect. 
  • I understand that discrimnatory language or ill manner will not be tolerated. Failure to stop will result in me being asked to leave and I will not be allowed to volunteer with Empowered again.  
  • I am not to disclose to anyone the exact location of the residences where the Lil’ Sistas live nor any of the personal information of the Lil’ Sistas, like their real first names, their full names, phone numbers, and where they go to school or work.  
  • I am to be punctual. Showing up late at our meet up spot may mean me being left behind and not participating.  
  • I am not to give out my personal information to any of the Lil’ Sistas or contact them outside of our designated volunteer time together.  
  • I am not to bring gifts unless I notify Empowered Clubhouse beforehand and there is enough for all present.  

By signing this, the Lil’ Sistas Program Volunteer Consent and Liability Release Form, the outreach program by Empowered Clubhouse, I acknowledge that I have read, understood and will abide by it so that I can uphold the integrity of Empowered Clubhouse and all it represents and stands for.

No comments: