As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, July 28, 2019

Help is Always Needed... Sunday, July 28

There's always a heavy feeling I feel after coaching the Lil' Sistas, more so on the day after coaching them that is -- after I've pondered over our boxing session together, looked at the pictures I took, and talked about it to my fighters and whatnot. When I go there I'm distracted thinking of what exercises and activities to do, whether or not I packed everything or forgot something. But when I leave, that's when I'm alone in the van on the ride home, left with nothing but my thoughts to preoccupy me. 

I have fun when I'm coaching them. I always enjoy my time with them. Coaching them is one of the very rare moments where I'm 100% and my attention is not divided or wondering off to something else on my mind. I'm 100% there, in the now, with those girls. 

New game plan, instead of people telling me I'm doing "great things" with my Lil' Sistas Project, how about they ask me how they can get involved or donate.

I'm really not doing anything so big or so great, not yet at least and definitely according to the standards I've set for myself, so please save your compliments. I'm just doing what I can with what I have but I need help to take the Lil' Sistas Project to the next level.

Ways people can help:
1. Like the following pages on Facebook and Instagram:
Empowered Clubhouse
Voice of the Free Ph
MJKO Boxing

2. Donate gently used clothing.

3. Donate letter writing supplies for our Snail Mail Program.

4. Purchase a Lil' Sista Hoodie, an Empowered Cap or Girl Power Cap. Proceeds go directly to funding the Lil' Sistas Project.

5. Am looking to start offering our Lil' Sistas a post workout snack so I need food donations or funds so I can purchase light snacks, like apples, nuts and juice.

6. Am accepting financial donations for 2 stand up heavy bags, to be placed at the two residences of the Lil' Sistas so they can train, release stress, and use boxing as therapy when I'm not there coaching them.

7. Volunteers needed for
- translation work
- cleaning the boxing gear
- social media work/photography

8. Voice of the Free purchase needs:
- classroom whiteboards, cabinets, chairs and desks
- photocopier
- culinary and catering equipment
- keyboards and guitars
- sofas and cabinets
- mattress and electric fans
- sand tray and therapy toys
- vitamins

9. Purchase an electric fan or mattress, or donate a computer for Holy Family Home.

10. Financial donations are ALWAYS needed and ALWAYS welcomed by both the Center or Hope and Holy Family Home. Please contact me and I'll happily put you in direct contact with them.

11. Continue to like, share and pray.

No comments: