As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, July 27, 2019

I Have an Idea... Saturday, July 27

The driver from the Center of Hope was about two hours late picking me up for today's Lil' Sistas boxing class which had me totally stressing out because I thought something had happened to him.  Turns out it was just bad traffic, which was a huge relief to me when he showed up.  

Ten new faces joined those at the Center of Hope.

Ten joined and three left.

It was a bittersweet moment when I made the realization.

One of the girls who has finished her program at the Center of Hope was one of two team coaches I had assigned.  She was also an advocate for the Voice of the Free and went around speaking on behalf of them and the other human trafficking survivors.  She left yesterday.  Originally I was suppose to come last Saturday but because they were getting their floors retiled, our boxing session got switched to today.  The realization that I missed her by one day kind of hit me.  I'm super proud and happy for her that she's onto the next chapter of her healing but it's sad to not have her here with us all.  It's selfish of me to wish her here but I really wish I could have said bye.

I don't know how the women at the Center of Hope do it.  How do their hearts not break on the daily?!  They hear the girls' sad stories, they experience the highs and lows of their recovery and then they watch as they go.  I don't know if I could ever be strong enough to do that.  

While on route to the Center, while stuck in brutal Manila traffic, I thought of my next big idea -- a Girls Nite In!!! It's awesome and, to tell you the truth, I think it's pretty badass brilliant.  I've been wanting to launch a kind of Big Sista/Lil' Sista mentoring program but with the Center of Hope being in a hidden location that I can't exactly bring people to and them not exactly being able to come to me and be so out in the public, I thought what about bringing some of them to Empowered?!  Empowered is located in a secure community that has two security check points.  I'd match up some of the Lil' Sistas with my clients or volunteer applicants, the "Big Sistas", and they could have a kind of slumber party at Empowered.  Because it'd be at my clubhouse, they'd be secure, I'd have them to a buddy system so they'd be looked after, and it'd allow me to restrict people from snapping pictures.  I'd simply have the Big Sistas check their phones upon entry and sign a privacy/volunteer form.

I love this idea.  I absolutely love it and my only regret is that I didn't think of it earlier.

I could have had a slumber party for my birthday.

Anyways, I presented the idea briefly to the Center of Hope when I arrived and now it's up to them to discuss it and me to plan out the details for them to say "yes" or "no" to. 

No comments: