As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, July 11, 2019

Preparing for the Weekend... Thursday, July 11

Tomorrow I leave for Cebu, for the Cebu 10's rugby tournament with Lady Mavericks and the thing I'm most excited about is getting on a play and the hopes of finally getting to see the beach and touch the ocean.

I've been in the Philippines now for over 2 years and I've yet to see the beach or touch the ocean.

I've seen the ocean, from the hall at the Mall of Asia, but that doesn't exactly count.  This country has so many gorgeous beaches and oceanside resorts and yet I've yet to experience any of it.  I'm always working or training, training or working.  I didn't get to where I am by taking off every weekend and playing.  Hell no.  I got to where I am by hustling on the daily and staying consistent, persistent, and focused.  Don't get me wrong though, where I am and where I want to be are two different places but hence the continual grind on the daily.

A weekend in Cebu means a weekend without my laptop and a weekend not training my fighters.  And while some people say this is a "forced vacation", it is hardly a vacation at all when you consider I can't exactly turn my brain off, it's always in work mode, and vacation for me wouldn't consist of an entire rugby team staying in one house.  Rugby is hardly the sport you play on vacation either.  Nope, not a vacation.  For me, a vacation would be me and a private island with my own beach.  Where it'd just be me and one other person, relaxing in the sun and putting our feet in the sand.  

I have a lot of anxiety not only about this trip but also the talent show presentation that I have to give.  I know very little details about is so that only adds to my anxiety.  

With tomorrow and this weekend being all about rugby in Cebu, today I loaded up my day with fighters to coach, meetings to be had, emails to respond to and business to get done before I head out.  I don't know if I'll have wifi and I've got limited data, but I know I won't have my computer or peace and quiet.  I'm going to need a weekend from this anticipated weekend.

No comments: