As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, August 07, 2019

Baa, Baa, Black Sheep... Wednesday, August 7

Over 400 people contacted me on social media to wish me a happy birthday and there was that harsh reality when I woke up today and noticed not one of those 400 were my immediate family members.

That hurt.  That flat out sucked.  

That's how I started my day, getting emotional about that sh!# realization that is my reality.

Nothing makes you feel more like the family black sheep than that. 

I've accepted it though and my way of dealing with it is disconnecting myself with them.  So I really can't get upset with them because I really don't contact them either.  Truth is beyond a couple of text messages to my middle brother about U2 the other week, I've really only had one conversation with him since my mother's death and that was almost 7 years ago.  My oldest brother really isn't on social media, he's super busy with his family of 5, and my dad has since stopped emailing me.  I know he's upset I live in the Philippines and I can only assume so are my brothers too because I'm not there to care for my father. 

I've made my own family.  I have a family of 5, three of which have four legs.  I also have a new extended family and they're Filipino.  Most of them speak English but all of them are nothing but sweet to me.  

I'm over it.  Not really, but it is what it is.

No comments: