As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, August 24, 2019

Change of Plans... Saturday, August 24

I anticipated many people to come out to the expansion launch of Acacia Sole Sistas +1 but what I didn't anticipate was NOT running.  Two people who were expected to come together but never did show up had us all waiting and wondering where they were.  So when I made the decision to continue on without them, to get everyone geared up and out the door for a run, it was too late.  Mother Nature started pouring down on us right as I opened the door.  Seriously, it was as if she had totally waited for me and anticipating shocking me as such. 

Executive decision:  do we run in the rain of train inside the clubhouse?

We took a vote. 

Train inside the clubhouse won.

Ten stations at 1 minute a station, with a 20 second break in between each station.  We then did two rounds of the ten stations.  It was when we were on the ninth station that one girl sat down.  I yelled out to her "that isn't a station... get up!"  She got up, yup, she definitely got up, but then she puked.  If only she had lasted another minute and a half, she would have successfully completed the entire workout. 

I had a mean girl moment when I saw her sick, knowing that karma was at play here for a prior incredibly stressful situation, two actually, that involved her, me, the Lil' Sistas and my merch.  I won't go into the details but will say this, she had a lot of balls showing up at my clubhouse wearing what she did on her head.  No one but me noticed though.

What did she wear, you ask.  She wore a "I Am Empowered" cap; an item I've never actually made.  Instead, she took the file I had sent her for the creation of something else and took it upon herself to print it on a cap.  I'm okay if she wanted to play around and test out different fundraising merch for my Lil' Sistas Project but a heads up would have been appropriate.  Instead, I saw a picture of her wearing it on Facebook.  I found it among pictures she posted of my Lil' Sistas, an incredible break of trust because pictures of all the Lil' Sistas are to be blurred.  

So yeah.  I wasn't impressed but what was I to do?!  I couldn't exactly call her out today on wearing it.  I didn't want the others to be uncomfortable and, honestly speaking, I think she's seriously clueless about what she's done.  I think she honestly sees no fault, nothing wrong with what she did.  

So yeah, when she got sick and puked, I had a mean girl moment when I shook my head and thought that this was karma dealing with her for me to see.  Does that make me mean in saying that?  Perhaps, maybe, but it was true.  I didn't purposely make her puke.  I trained her hard and then karma took over.

No comments: