As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, August 10, 2019

Don't Ask Me Again... Saturday, August 10

Ignorance is bliss but for the educated, things can get super annoying and that's what happened tonight for me, totally and real fast. Organizing a charity event is one thing but it's a whole other thing when it's a boxing event and those who were ignorant about what goes down running such a event thought tonight was amazing.

It was like anticipating a train wreak and hence why I jumped in to corner coach a fighter.  I went to help her because honestly I anticipated her getting hurt and I didn't want that on my conscious.  I knew she'd be going against a more experienced fighter, a heavy hitter, but I also anticipated them not having experienced fighter staff on call, like a ringside medic.  The irony here was that she never got injured, her opponent did. And I was there to handle it because no one else would or could step up to do so. 

Post fight and pre fight med checks never happened.  I did pre fight checks and I have the puke down my top to prove it.  I couldn't not check up on the fighters though, they all experienced head trauma to a certain degree, some much more than others.  Tomorrow morning I'll be continuing them when I reach out to all my fighters and check on their post fight day conditions.

Fighters who didn't know how to wrap their hands.
Fighters who were completely mismatched -- experienced vs unexperienced, etc.
Weight classes were ignored for the simple need of more matches.
Corner coaches who were friends and not actual fighters or educated corner help.
No ringside medic to check on the fighters before or after the fights.
Apparently only one ref to ref all ten fights.
Fighters drinking right after their fights... like I'm talking about standing in the ring and drinking.
And don't even get me started on the mobs of people swarming the ringside that should never have been allowed to be because they were obstructing us corner coaches from getting in and out of the ring.

It was an amazing charity event, a gorgeous event, I was beyond shocked at the number of standard boxing practices that go into running such a boxing event were totally disregarded and ignored.  It felt like a law suit waiting to happen and I wasn't the only person who made mention of this.  I felt like I was the only one who had balls to admit this out loud though.  "But it was for charity", sure, but a boxing bout is a boxing bout.  The hits aren't any less damaging.

No comments: