As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, August 08, 2019

It's About to Go Down... Thursday, August 8

Two nights before the "big night" -- the black tie boxing charity event -- and there was weigh-in.  Why was it two nights before and not the usual night before?  Question 1 of about 1,0000 that ended up popping up because of this event.

I attend the weigh-in today because I had various questions about my role as a corner coach for one of the fighters.

Correction, I'm now the corner coach for TWO fighters.  Ya, new news to me but I feel like the boxing fundamentals, like the standard practices at play in a regular tournament, are being ignored or not addressed here.  I was asked by another fighter tonight if I could corner coach her because her corner coach backed out.  Of course I said yes.  I wasn't going to leave a fighter with out the much needed help.  I may not be the nicest but I'm not mean like that to leave a fighter high and dry.

I was told that I have to wear a formal dress when corner coaching.

I'm hoping the lady that told me was just pulling my leg or trying to be mean.  God knows there is no way on this green Earth that I'm going to wear a formal dress when corner coaching.  That's next level ridiculous.  

Amateurs.

I felt myself getting incredibly frustrated and annoyed at the lack of detail about the actual boxing part of the event, like the fact that nothing was mentioned about them seeing the ringside medic after the fight as a part of standard protocol or any kind of details for us corner coaches, like should I be using gauze or regular wraps.  What ounce gloves are being used and do we supply them or are the organizers.  

It's all really up in the air. 

I left the weigh-in super frustrated.

"This is for charity", I reminded myself.  Yes, it's for charity but it's still a boxing bout, it's many boxing bouts.  It's potential head injuries and broken noses.  It could be more than that and that's not far fetch, that's the truth.  And that's why there is a gaming commissioner to regulate things and standard boxing practices and rules to follow.  They're not to "spoil the fun", they're there to protect the fighters.  

After the weigh-in, I had a meeting and another event to attend.  It was at the event that I was then approached about possibly corner coaching another fighter, a third fighter.  The sister-in-law of one of the business partners of Skittles is participating in the event but apparently her opponent didn't show up for weigh-in tonight because she's sick.  Rumor has it it's because she didn't make weigh-in.  She's something like 15-20lbs over the set weight.  Wow.  The fight is still on though and that's when I got approached about it. 

Looks like I might be corner coaching a third fighter now.  So much for not wanting to get involved.

No comments: