As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, September 29, 2019

A Level of Suckery... Sunday, September 29

There's a certain level of suckery that comes with the good days, being that I'm a foreigner in a foreign country.  It's not the typical or expected "bad days" that are hard, instead it's the "good days" that become the hard days.  When something great has happened and all you want to do is rush home to tell your family, meet up with your friends to gab all about it, or pick up the phone to reach out to them... any of them, all of them.

Today was one of those days.

I wasn't able to get out to rugby so I was home when my episode of Matanglawin TV aired. 

I secretly didn't want to be home when it aired.  I wanted to be out, surrounded by my Lady Maverick teammates, doing anything but thinking about how it sucks my close friends and family in Canada (and in Korea too) aren't here to watch it with me.  Instead, they'll be watching it online or whenever I get the link to post and they wake up in the morning to check it out.

And now you know why it's easy for me to go into workaholic mode.  It means I don't have time to stop and think about those I miss and how I miss them much more than they actually know.

No comments: