As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, September 01, 2019

Canada Touches Down... Sunday, September 1

So, big news, my friend from Canada touched down in the PH today, in the Philippines.  Yeah, that was super exciting as you can assume.  For sure.  Her plane landed at 11:30am but she wasn't able to leave the airport till about 1pm which meant I left little time for what I had planned for her.

Oh, and yeah, I totally didn't schedule in any time for her to deal with any dosage of jet lag.

Took her back to my clubhouse, showed it to her, introduced her to my four-legged babies, gave her time to shower, then gave her a cup of water, an apple and then popped her into a Grab.

Off to coach the Lil' Sistas of Taguig.

Yesterday I had the Lil' Sistas at the Center of Hope and today I had the Lil' Sistas at Holy Family Home, Taguig.  She didn't appear to be jet lagged and I'm pretty sure all the little ones running up to her and asking her name definitely helped to give her a second wind and stay awake. 

I quite enjoyed introducing her to my Lil' Sistas.  And I was ultra proud at just how inviting and sweet they were to her although I'll admit that I was expecting them to be.  But they were so very sweet to her, more than expected but I think it's also because she warmed up to them quickly.  They all got along and she was actually a perfect volunteer because of her awesome positive energy and willingness to jump into the action and participate.  The fact that she has boxing experience and has actually fought is pure bonus and is definitely more than I'd ever expect from a volunteer here, sad but true.

If only she lived in the Philippines, right?!  Right.

I think the coolest part of her coming today and seeing a glimpse into my life was just that, sharing a glimpse into my life, my daily life.  She's the first of my friends to see my life as it is, my life as I've hustled hard to make it into, and I really wanted her to be proud of what I've created and what I'm doing.  I don't have family here or close friends for that matter that I'd feel the same feeling I got when I introduced her to my Lil' Sistas and showed her my clubhouse.  I was up so super late last night doing renovations because I wanted her to love my place and feel totally comfortable staying here.  I woke up today with only a few hours sleep and then coached my morning fighters extra early because I wanted to leave some more time for me to do some last minute cleaning before her arrival. 

Later in the evening we met up with her cousin, the newlyweds, and all went out for dinner.

It was pretty cool to be the tour guide and pick out the dinner place and whatnot.  Took them all to my favourite dessert place, too.

No comments: