As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Discovery Day... Wednesday, September 25

Made a not-so-interesting but rather sad discovery today.  Someone that is important to me here in the Philippines can't read.  I'm 99% sure of it.  The discovery came about when he asked me to help him download Angkas on his phone and then figure out how much it'd cost him to travel from work to home, etc.  He told me his home location, the city, and then I asked for a more detailed location.  He then started to list of the various places around his house but none of them were the ones that were popping up as I scrolled down the list.  I pinned his work and then pinned his home, when I put two and two together.  This explains a lot.  This explains when I text message him he never responds and why he declined the various business opportunities I set up for him to private train some guys I know that want to be coached.  

He cannot read.

To be almost 30 and to have gone through that much life without knowing what so many of us take for granted, wow.  I don't know how he's done it but I have to give respect for adapting and figuring out how to do things without this basic skill.  

Honestly, I felt really sad when I made the realization.  

No comments: