As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, September 23, 2019

It's All in My Head... Monday, September 23

I left tonight's rugby practice super frustrated and so annoyed with myself.  So much so, actually, that I refused to take the club van home and instead walked for a bit and then grabbed an Angkas.  I know I can't expect myself to be at the same level as the others I'm training with; it's unrealistic to compare myself to them because they've been training for years.  I'm training with national level players who have earned their right on the team and have the skills needed to be on it.  But I'm struggling with allowing myself to learn when I'm training with them because they're on a whole other level.  It's inspiring but it's also intimidating and frustrating.  Frustrating to not see the progress of my own skill sets at the rate at which I'd like to.  I don't see any progress actually but I know there's got to be progress.  I'm putting in the time and effort so the results are inevitable, they'll come.  I just have to be more patient with it.

After training, I was asked to rate my training session.  They do this after every session actually. 

I gave it a 7, in terms of the physical part of training, but I gave it a 10 in terms of the mental frustration.  Honestly though, that 10 was more like a 12 because when I arrived home, I was still so frustrated and annoyed that I couldn't even find the words to express it.  Instantly my sentences went into caveman mode and by that I mean instead of simply saying "Training wasn't good but I need to shower", I stumbled to say "Training, not good. Must... shower".  Holy caveman.  Holy frustrated.

No comments: