As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, September 15, 2019

Respect Earned... Sunday, September 15

Sunday morning and I'm racing off to rugby practice except I don't know where the new location is and I've got a guest coming.  And it's not just a guest, it's a younger rugby player that I've been asked to somewhat mentor and look out for.  So she was lost looking for the field, as was I.

Arrived, found the field, found each other and then found ourselves jumping back in the car to head to BGC where the Lady Mavericks had decided to train instead of training with all the Mavericks.

She loved joining me for practice and was actually quite overly grateful.  

Training got ultra dirty but I had to keep somewhat clean.  I had some business to do in BGC right after so I couldn't exactly show up muddy or soaked.  Props to my teammates for getting down and dirty in the rain and mud.  Those girls are a whole new level of badass. 

Football players, pay attention to here.  Maybe one day you can grow up to be as tough as the female Philippine rugby players.  Until then, keep aiming high.

Can I let you into a secret here, practice with the Lady Mavericks is great and, honestly, if they weren't who they are, I wouldn't be playing.  I never was a fan of rugby but now I really enjoy it.  It's not like what boxing is to me though.  Boxing to me is what rugby is to them and ever since Cebu 10's, I always leave rugby practice feeling guilty that I'm not in love with it like they are.  I'll train hard and I really want to learn, but I don't breath it like I do boxing.  They do, I know that.  We all know that, and I wish I was a lot more into it like them.  I really only try hard for them.  I like the tackling, playing defence, but my offence game isn't the greatest.  It's lacking.  But I try hard for them because I know they're giving it their all and that's not fair to be slacking off and making them pick up where I'm lacking in skills, effort and whatnot.  

I really have to up my game. 

I left training a bit earlier than the others because I had business to tend to but even that, leaving early, it only made me feel bad for them.  I feel this is what is separating me from them and I hate it.  I really need to change this if I'm going to continue because it's not fair to them.

No comments: