As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, September 24, 2019

The Downfall... Tuesday, September 24

The downfall of being an entrepreneur here in a foreign country are all the friends and family that will never be able to see or experience what I've slaved over.  All the people that helped to shape me and push me to be the woman I am, the boss babe I've become.  Coaches, teachers, close friends, classmates in university, former coworkers, fighter friends,... and the list goes on and on.  

Today I felt that; it's a burden I wear on my shoulders every day.  Today it just felt heavier than usual.

My father will never see what I've built here even if I buy him a plane ticket.  Just like he never saw Hulk's Boxing or Flipside Fitness.  My mother never saw it either and now she's passed on so she'll obviously never see Empowered.  She was the one who sparked all this though, me making my own path and being the leader when before I struggled to fit in and find my place.  Because of her I made my place.  That was the good that came out of the bad -- her end sparked my beginning, the beginning of my business and ultimately the beginning of me finding my voice and helping give voice to the 76 underprivileged girls, my Lil' Sistas.  

No comments: