As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Training with the Pros... Wednesday, September 18

Boxing in the morning, rugby in the evening.

It was an overdose of exercise like non other and, if that wasn't enough for my body to handle, my mind had to wrap around the fact that I was training with the national team.  But get this, this only kicked up the intensity like a billion notches.  Tonight's training, it was skill testing.  Two hours of skill testing with each of us players performing a set amount of athletic drills in front of the coaches, with the national team manager writing down every player's individual results and a camera man video taping it all. 

No pressure.

I know many of the national players but while standing there, waiting for me turn to do my best but possibly embarrass myself, I got to learn some background stuff about some of them.  Like this one particular player, she's half Japanese, half Filipino, and apparently she played pro in Japan.  Wow.  I made sure not to go after her with the drill testing.  She was flawless and everything she did looked so effortless.  Holy #madskills.

It was definitely an intimidating experience, that's for sure, but the girls and coaches are all super supportive and encouraging... plus everyone is just super focused on their own results.  I had hyped it up in my head though, I know, but I figure any kind of practice with them or the Lady Mavericks can never be as intimidating and nerve racking as tonight's was.

No comments: