As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, October 11, 2019

Big Mistake... Friday, October 12

I had quickly inhaled my breakfast as I prepped for the arrival of my first fighter at 6am.  While she was doing her warm-up, I downed my coffee but noted it hit me extra hard this morning because I hadn't finished my breakfast.  

Coached my first fighter and then raced off to BGC to coach my next.

From BGC I then raced to my third fighter, in Makati.

From Makati, it was off to Merville.  My Merville fighter cancelled last minute.

In between racing here and there for my fighters though, hunger pains set in so I downed more coffee to carry me through.  But when my fourth fighter suddenly cancelled, I found myself heading to the gym and popping a preworkout energy pill.  

Half a breakfast, 3 coffees and 1 energy pill.

Not a good combo, especially when you consider you're not suppose to take the energy pills if you're going to drink coffee.

I usually don't drink 3 coffees a day so having 3 before noon was a lot on the system.  There was a delay reaction though, I didn't feel any kind of cafeine kick hence why I popped the energy pill.  But then it ALL hit me.  I was at the boxing club when it happened.  I felt a total disconnection between what my eyes were seeing and what my head was registering.  I couldn't focus my eyes on anything without feeling dizzy and I felt like I was going to puke.  Then the chills came over and one minute I was sweating, the next I was covered in goosebumps and so cold.  

My boxing buddies teased me and said I was getting sick but I knew I wasn't.  I knew I had made quite the nasty concoction in my tummy and was paying the price right there and then.

No padwork for me today on account I was nervous I was going to puke during it.

Oh, and I did puke but only in small amounts.  I simply swallowed it and took it as the nasty price I was paying for doing something very stupid.  Lesson learnt, wow.

No comments: