As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, October 10, 2019

Challenge Accepted... Thursday, October 11

Yet again I feel like I've bitten off more than I can chew but I'm going to chew it and figure it out.

This is the second time in the past month I've done this.

I was proposed a position today, a guest trainer position for a remote port town about 6 hours from where I live.  I had a meeting today to discuss it and though I really don't have a clear vision on how or what I'm going to do, I've decided to do it.  What they want me to do is venture up to this remote mining city and do a special 2-3 day training session with many of their female students there.  It's really up to me with regards to what I want to do for the session and even how many times I want to stay there and how many sessions I want to host while I'm there.  

My proposal:  stay for 2-3 days, do a large group session the first day and then split the group into 2 smaller groups and do a session for each group for the next following 2 days.  Total number of sessions 5.  Another idea I'm thinking of is joining the two groups up for the 3rd day and just do one large group session, bringing the total number of sessions to only 4.

The company has told me that they'll take care of my accommodations, travel and food, but they want to know how much I want to get paid.  For me, it's a pretty easy calculation.  Just total up the number of sessions with my fighters that would have to be postponed or rescheduled and then charge them that.  I think that's fair. 

As for the details of it, what I'd be coaching them, it'd be boxing but more so in the fashion that I coach my Lil' Sistas, meaning there'd be a group discussion activity at the start and more than just boxing.  The purpose behind me going is to help empower these young girls with confidence because word has it they've never really had any kind of women-focus activities before and human trafficking is a problem there.  I'm quite familiar with human trafficking but with them being a port city, they experience it first hand and that's a big issue.  The girls there are vulnerable of being victims on the daily as oppose to the girls at the Center of Hope where they're already survivors.  I'll definitely have to collab with the Voice of the Free on this and see if they can give me any kind of added advice or guidance on how to more appropriately plan for this.  

This isn't just a job.  It never really is but this one I'll have to do my share of research and prep work so that I'm not only prepared to deal with the issues they face but also so I can better and most appropriately equip these young girls with whatever it is they need.

I'm super excited about this project, it's something that will hopefully be launched in January and one that I'll do every few months, but it's super big and on a whole other level.

No comments: