As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, October 04, 2019

Out on the Town... Friday, October 4

Unexpected turn of events when I suddenly got stuck in the rain in BGC.  Ended up getting my hair trimmed, treating myself to some earrings and then heading to boxing looking a fresh with my new cut and "bling"... cheap a$$ bling but none the less, bling.

I had the Lady Mavericks' fundraiser event to attend tonight.  I'm cool with my teammates but I'm still anti-social in that I don't care for parties or meeting new people.  

But first, boxing.

Tomorrow I have sparring so today I got into the boxing club to do some extra work on the heavy bag and tweak some combos I've been trying to put into my muscle memory bank.  Coach Marcelo was away today, he's off looking after his newborn, so it gave me the chance to really focus in on my heavy bag combo work instead of being killed on padwork and then suffering through my heavy bag rounds. 

At the fundraising event, I pretty much found a spot by the wall and sat there for the rest of the night with Skittles.  I'm totally anti-social like that.  It was a karaoke night but it was more like an open mic.  They had a small band; holy impressive!  I had noted seeing and hearing some of my teammates practicing last night in the bleachers while the rest of us practiced rugby on the field.  They had even brought a guitar.  Tonight, there were 2 guitarists playing and those who sang sported quite the good voices and had practiced.  How do you go up after that?!  Exactly, hence while I stayed in my seat and just enjoyed the performance.  I was quite impressed with the event, it was definitely nothing like I had anticipated.  

Prior to the event, Skittles had treated me out to dinner at my favourite restaurant -- Crying Tiger in Poblacion.  The service there is brutal, it's loud and sometimes it stinks, but it's the most authentic and delish Thai food I've tasted here in the Philippines and it's ultra cheap.  Can't go wrong with that!!!  So tonight's plans consisted of dinner out and then a musical fundraising event with my rugby teammates.  Definitely not my typical Friday night.  Usually I'm at home, working on Empowered and then either enjoying my weekly cheat meal or struggling to stay up to watch a movie.

No comments: