As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, October 07, 2019

The High and Crash... Monday, October 7

After a busy day of juggling coaching, boxing and rugby, I returned home from rugby to three voice messages.  They were from three of the Lil' Sistas at Holy Family Home, all saying thank you for coaching them and for the snacks.  

And just like that, I totally melted. 

Perhaps this sounds strange but hear me out.  One day I want to stay there late and tuck these girls into bed.  I'm serious.  Growing up, it was always my father who tucked me into bed.  I'd say my prayers and then he'd come in to check up on me and wish me sweet dreams.  And on nights when I was upset about something or not feeling well, I'd go to bed early and he'd come up early to check on me.  I'd be under the covers and he'd lay on top of them, beside me.  Sometimes he'd just lay there until I fell asleep, other times he'd tell me a story about this or that, and then sometimes he'd ask me to tell him a story.  Of course, whatever was bothering me would come out in my story and by the time I was dozing off to sleep, whatever was upsetting me was really not a burden on my mind anymore.  I loved my father tucking me into bed.  It was such a reassuring and sweet way to end whatever day I was having.  I want to have that kind of impact on these girls.  I want to share these kind of special moments with the girls.  I don't know if they even get tucked into bed, I know the sisters (the nuns) are busy there managing so many of them, but I thought it'd be such a cool new tradition to start with them.  After boxing, we'd have a snack and then I'd see them till the end of their day. 

I always am happy to see these girls but after, when I get home, there is always a sadness that comes over me and for the next few hours I need to be just left alone.  

Last night I wasn't able to decompress.  Instead, I had a dinner party to attend.  My neighbour's mother is visiting from out of country and though I knew there would be more than just a few of us, I didn't know it'd be quite the production.  I should have assumed though, I know.  He is a pretty well known celebrity.  It was nice to meet his mom and it was so sweet to be able to taste some of his mom's home cooked food but I was struggling with my inevitable crash from today's high of coaching the Lil' Sistas.  I lasted about an hour and a half before I had to excuse myself and leave.  It always happens, the crash that is, and I could sense myself becoming bad company.

No comments: