As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, November 11, 2019

Plan B, Just In Case... Monday, November 11

I'm rarely impressed by people these days.

Growing up, I had a friend that was labelled a borderline genius after he did a few tests that revealed his IQ was crazy high.  When I told him that was awesome he shook his head and said it only meant he now knew how stupid most people are.  

Funny but brutal.

These days I've been trying extra hard to do more and be more for the Lil' Sistas but in doing so, I'm kind of having the same result as my childhood genius friend.  Trying to do more for them is only revealing to me how little so many people do for the less fortunate and for others in general.  I'm blessed to have two particular fighters I coach though that continually restore my faith in humanity.  Three actually.  One fighter in particular has brought something for the Lil' Sistas every time she's come to training this past month.  Whether it was candy for them at Halloween or clothes she got her coworkers all to donate, she's been super supportive and I'm incredibly grateful for her.  

One of these mentioned fighters has actually checked off one of the items I listed as being on the Lil' Sistas Christmas Wish List.  I was incredibly blown away when she told me the news and next week we'll be delivering it to Holy Family Home.  

I think that people are generally good and they do have great in them but a lot of people are also selfish where as others just don't know how to go about paying it forward and helping it.  I'm dealing with that these days, trying to throw it out there, letting people know how they can help and hoping that they'll see that their donation or little bit of kindness will go a long way.  A bit of kindness does make a difference.  I don't know if I'll hold my breath for them to realize this before Christmas though so as optimistic as I'll try to be, I'll also be a realist here and sketch up a rough draft of Plan B.

No comments: