As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, January 08, 2020

Bring on the Work... Wednesday, January 8

Arrived at the boxing club today, ready and anticipating to jump back in training like I hadn't just taken two weeks off of boxing to venture out to Canada for a visit.  It was wishful thinking to think I could just simply step back into it at the intensity I was training at before I left -- sauna suit on, going round after round, getting in the extra rounds of padwork.

No sauna suit today.

In Canada is was only about 0 degrees, super mild for their winter, but here in the Philippines it's about 28 degrees and the boxing club neither has a breeze blowing through it or any air con.  You sweat just tying up your laces.  

No padwork today.

Coach Marcelo was away today but he's moved closer to the club so he'll be taking less days off in the future.  Regardless, I could have done padwork with another coach but opted out.  There's challenging yourself and then there's killing yourself.  I need to allow my body to readjust to training here in the Philippines.

Today was a "lighter day" at boxing for me but that doesn't mean I didn't arrive home exhausted and super gym nasty soaked to the bone, gosh no.  I then had to quickly shower, eat, and then prep for my next fighter. 

I had 5 fighters to coach today.

A little bit rough to jump back into coaching as such but I love it. 

Feels so damn good to be back.

No comments: