As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Monday, July 31

1. I was fully aware that today would be awkward due to the big argument I got into with my Korean co-teacher at the camp. Turns out our argument made quite the discussion piece on Friday after I left. Dreaded having to go to work today.
2. Figured there was no way around avoiding the awkwardness and so I walked straight up to her and asked, “Do you hate me cause if you don’t, can we talk?” She was totally thrown of guard and we both had a good laugh. That was a relief!
3. Had elementary for most of the day minus one class and so it made for a really loud and active day.
4. So much for having a productive class with my middle school students. I taught them Andrew’s game called “Mafia” and now that’s all they want to play.
5. Tutored Vanessa today and had a good laugh at how I sounded just like my grade 9 English teacher, Mrs. Quinlan. Totally used Mrs. Quinlan’s idea on an essay being a hamburger…. ha, ha, ha!
6. Ryan made fun of my singing but I told him that I use to sing solos at my church… mind you I also don’t go to that church anymore… coincidence? Ouch.
7. Thanks Andi for all the pictures… reminders of the past! Andi flooded my email account today with pictures from her wedding and Jack & Jill party.
8. Still discovering injuries from last week’s scooter accident. Every time I lift my left arm towards my face and flex a bit, it pinches a nerve and causes such pain. I know I’m getting old and all but this isn’t the norm.
9. Won the award for “Worst Weekend Ever” on Andi’s homepage for the brutal weekend I had two weeks ago… let’s never talk about it again!

10. Ryan’s clued into the fact that if I know what I’m eating then I’m more likely to not try it. Today I ended up eating orange fish eggs…. dang!

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
What's the worst thing you've ever ate?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
In teaching you cannot see the fruit of a day's work. It is invisible and remains so, maybe for twenty years.
-- Jacques Barzun

1 comment:

Beloved said...

Orange fish eggs--that's so funny. I hate those on my sushi (ever since I realized what they are).

I remember eating twigim (sp?)--you know the stuff you can buy on the street that's dipped in batter and deep fried. This was my first couple of months in Korea and I had one piece in particular that was especially good so I asked the student who was with me what it was. I truly wasn't prepared to hear, "octopus." Took me awhile to get past it but now I love the stuff.