As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, December 03, 2010

This is me, looking out at the crowd that had come to see my first professional fight. I remember it as if it were yesterday. I tried hard to look calm but I was spooked.

And then there was the anger that overtook me in the second round after my opponent got me with a good clean hit that made the crowd roar. I was completely heartbroken over losing this fight but boy did I ever learn a lot.

Snickers is always telling me to "just enjoy" my boxing bouts but it's so hard to "just enjoy" something I've put so much blood, sweat and tears into. It's taken me some time to work on enjoying my fights but I can honestly say that yes, I did in fact enjoy my fight in Japan.
Unlike Snickers though, who always looks so completely in control of his game day nerves, as seen in his stern look in this picture, I haven't yet mastered mine. I love the demands and stress of preparing for a fight but there's always that minute or two right before I enter the ring on fight day that I think to myself, "why the heck am I doing this?!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Snickers' look here, in this pict! He's really scary!!haha :S
Do you really think "why the heck am I doing this?!" before your fights?? Wow, I didn't think so..also your expression is very stern! well, actually is also a bit disgusted, like if looking at your opponent you're thinking her face is really ugly..or her hair color is really bad!!hahahaha, c'mon amy you are very brave, doing things many women will never do! Keep up always the good work, energic woman.
Cheeeeers

Fabi

crashcourse said...

Hey Amy,
I like the pictures here of you and it does show your determination. I didn't know that your nose was broken in that one fight. I agree what you said about revenge not being a good drive in a match. I admit I get mad a lot of times when sparring with Shauna if she starts getting in those jabs. She takes of advantage of it because I forget to stay focused. She always does give a good lesson. I've never had my nose broken thank goodness but have had a few fat lips and bloody noses but it comes with the sport.
You look really mad in those pictures but I can't blame you really.
Keep up the training no matter what anyone tells or says to you.

Beth

권투선수 에이미 [Amy] said...

Hey Fabi,
Ya, I totally agree with you. He looks pretty scarey in this picture. I totally respect how he can completely control his nerves before a fight and yes, I do think that right before my fight. Not so much anymore but yes, it does still cross my mind with every fight I have.

Hi Beth,
Ya, my nose clicked for a good month --- Snickers and I resetted it instead of going to the hospital. I wouldn't recommend doing that but it apparently worked.