As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, December 04, 2010

Me, Myself and I Pushing Me... Saturday, December 4

In the early afternoon I had sent a text message song request to tbs eFM. They had been talking about what you want for Christmas, so I texted them "This Christmas marks my first Christmas as "wife" so I am wishing for my husband to return early from Japan so that he can see my next fight and spend Christmas with me." Next thing I knew it tbs eFM was calling me up and asking if they could interview me on live radio!!! The interview was only a couple of minutes and we talked a bit about my boxing career and that of Snickers. It was very cool. The two radio announcers talking to me were hilarious and they definitely helped to re-energize me for today's training.

I managed to tape the brief interview on my camera so I'll have to look into adding it to my homepage for you to listen to.

"Amy, I'm a big guy. Do you think you could fight me?" asked one announcer.
"Ya, but you'd have to pay me... hahaha" I noted.


Headed into the boxing club to train today. Tomorrow the Cheonan Bulldog will be joining me at the club. He's got a fight scheduled in exactly a week so the pressure is definitely on for him.

Laundry duty, yet again.

Gotta love the old skool tunes... got some Notorious BIG, Vanilla Ice, and JLo.

And what's a trip to ghettoville and old skool lane without Ace of Base, Janet Jackson, and some Salt N' Pepper to sweat my brains out too... love it!!!

The pride of UP, a shelf designated towards housing the various faught over trophies and a mirror showcasing pictures of various champions and great boxing bouts.

Am happy to note that I've got two pictures and a big newspaper article about Snickers and I posted up on this mirror, and my two trophies sit among the trophies and belts of some highly regarded teammates of mine.

Tonight I trained by myself. Training solo is either really good or a really hard struggle. It definitely takes a lot of self motivation because the only one there to push me is me but me. There's no Junior Mint yelling at me or pushing me around the ring; there's no High School Kiddies watching ringside; there's no teammates to find off their energy; there's only me, myself and I.

I hooked up my iPod to the club's stereo, blasted the tunes and then got all geared up to train. I took yesterday off training on account that I'm nursing an injuried left wrist -- a wrist that my doctor frowned his eyebrows at and insisted I get x-rays. I never did get the suggested x-rays, instead I've been wearing cool packs on it 24/7. I don't think it's anything to get too worried about but I have been trying to take it easy with using it on the heavy bag.

Oddly enough, my motivation today at the club came from thoughts surrounding my injuried left hand. My coach in Canada, Egerton Marcus, won a silver medal in the Olympics with a broken hand, Junior Mint also won a big bout with a broken hand as did Snickers. Three very highly respected boxers in my books who all mastered their mind in the ring and overcame very painful injuries.

Breaking my right hand played a huge part in me getting involved in boxing and last year I broke my nose in one of my fights. I remember hearing it snap too. It was in the third round when it happened and I still had one more round to go. To tell you the truth, it wasn't that painful when it happened. I just remember it stirring up a lot of anger in me when I realized it was broken. "Damn chic broke my nose!" was what I blurted out to Junior Mint. He of course couldn't comprehend my English words but he asked me if I wanted to stop the fight. I didn't want to stop, I wanted revenge.

Revenge, never a good drive in a fight. "Never let your emotions get the best of you" is what Egerton once told me, and he is so true. In the ring focus is key. Combos and skills that have been drilled into you via continuous training and that are now like second nature are what matters. You can't focus and you can't fully exercise your skills if you let emotions get the best of you in the ring, something I learned last year in this particular fight I mentioned above.

Today I had a really good training session, maybe the best one yet.

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Who fuels the fire in you?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Do not settle for your good when God is waiting to give you his best.
-- Lisa Jimenez

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Amy, it's funny to think that once, when I was in China, it happened to me as well.. the radio called me and we had a fast talk and most of italian friends in italy where listening to me :))

Just to answer your question "Who fuels the fire in you?" Well,sometime the revenge and anger are the best feelings I use to "fight"..well, it's not nice to say but it's true!

By the way, I love "All that she wants" by Ace of base ;))

Have a good day dear >.<


Fabi

권투선수 에이미 [Amy] said...

Hi Fabi,

I hear ya about anger fueling your fire. I think anger and bitterness are playing their role in my hard training for this upcoming fight.
Hahahaha... gotta love Ace of Base!!!