As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Head Kicks... Wednesday, January 5

If there's one thing I don't allow, whether it's when I'm private tutoring or teaching a full class of students, are rude students. This past Monday I had three new students join my elementary class of Church Kiddies as a kind of trial run, to see if their English levels could compete and if they'd fit in. Well, they didn't fit in. Two of them didn't fit in at all. My regular class of three were quick to let the new students know that they weren't welcomed. One kept on blurting out "Don't do that" and "Speak English" to them while another kicked one of them under the table and the third repeatedly mouthed to me, "Head kick them Amy".

"Head kick them"... oh gosh. They say that kids say the darnest things but well, to tell you the truth, it's me they learned that phrase from. I joke around with my students a lot and tend to be overly sarcastic with numerous classroom situations, especially with disiplining them. Students know I'm joking when confronted about not doing their homework and I blurt out "I'm going to head kick you if you do it again" and when showing up late is greeted with me saying silly things like "I'm going to bum-punch you" or "After class you and I are going to spar."

I would by no means seriously punch a student. Oh gosh no, but I might head butt anyone that talks trash of my Church Kiddies, afterall, they are officially the coolest group of mini Koreans. But to hear one of my students blurt out "Head kick them Amy" with anger, it threw me totally off guard. The student who she had directed the action towards didn't really understand that she was joking but he knew enough to sense her frustration and disapproval of him.

Out of the three that were thrown into our classroom for the day, one of them landed a really good impression on me and I was quite impressed with his efforts and manners. As for the other two, yikes. I ended up giving one of them an earful of my Korean, telling him that if he isn't respectful of the other students and I than he will have to leave. He yelled out "NO", to which I thought strange cause I hadn't asked him a question.

I continued on with the lesson, ignoring the one particularly rude new student, but it was hard to do so because my regular students sat totally agittated in their seats, looking like they'd eagerly love to take a shot at him. My regular elementary class always runs smoothly. It's a small class of three students whom I am quite comfortable with and who, though they're English isn't so great, they do try hard for me and I try hard to keep the lessons fun. But today, well, it was going anything but smooth so when that one little new kid blurted out something that left one of my regular students sitting in tears I had had enough.
"Say sorry or leave my classroom" I told him.
"No!!!" he yelled.
"Say sorry because now you have to leave my classroom"
"No... no, no, no"
"I didn't ask you, I told you" I told him.

I wasn't about to tell him again. He knew full well what I was talking about because I spoke to him in Korean and though he may be young he wasn't stupid. Kids know when they're being bad. And with that I walked up to him, scooped him right out of his seat using only my right arm, put him down outside of the classroom, and then I quietly closed the door.

Today I taught my Church Kiddies again but when I entered my classroom I was surprisingly greeted by a standing ovation from my three students. When I asked them why they were clapping they told me that they wanted to say thank you to me. They were overly relieved to not see the new students from last class in today's class.

"Next time, just head kick!" one whispered to me.

I ended up getting into a rather lengthy discussion with my elementary students. "I love you, I love each and every one of you three but if I ever hear that you've been rude to any of your teachers like that one boy was to me last week, I will come to your house and head kick you."

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Do parents of rude students know how rude their kids are?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Monkey see, monkey do.
-- Unknown

No comments: