As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Last Laugh... Saturday, January 22

I used to joke with Snickers, asking him “What’s wrong with you?” but now that I know him – the good, the bad, and the ugly – I often ask him “What’s right with you?” Up until today he’s never answered either of these two questions beyond giving me a little giggle, a smile and an occassional poke to the tush.

Today he answered my question.

We were at Lotte Mart when it happened. The store was flooded with busy Saturday shoppers and the taste-testing stations were littered around the perimeter. Snickers always goes in for more than his fair share of free food samples, picking up one sample with his right thumb and index finger, and then ever so cleverly sneaking a few extra in the palm of his hand. He’s mastered clearing the free sample plate with a quick swift move of his hand and it’s rather humorous to watch. I know I really shouldn’t encourage it with my sideline giggles and asking him to get me some too but the way I look at it is we spend an arm and a leg at Lotte Mart on groceries. With Snickers now training for his fight and me getting ready to jump back into my boxing next week, our grocery bill is about to more than double. We already go through about 60 eggs a week as it is. I fill the cart with tons of veggies that are apparently so overly priced these days in Korea and Snickers loads up on fresh meat, spending anywhere from $20 to $50 a week on meat alone (and he’s the only one that eats it at our house too).

Anyways, so back to my “What’s right with you?” question.

So one of the service ladies working one of the many taste-testing counters caught Snickers in the act of going in for a second handful of free mandu and she greeted him with her version of the death stare. Taste-tester workers, as far as I know, will never care too much to comment about someone behaving like Snickers, after all it’s not like it’s their food, but they will give out the odd dirty look.

Then Snickers did the expected Snickers thing to do… he went in for a third handful. Again he was greeted with the death stare from hell but this time she included a little tap on the back of Snickers’ hand. He totally wasn’t expecting it so he stepped back in shock, backing-up into a stroller and almost crashing down on the kid inside the stroller.

She stood there laughing at him.

“You think that’s funny?” I asked her. “You’re the one who is so funny… funny looking” I told her (in Korean) and with that I stood there and finished off the plate of mandu. I don’t even care for mandu either.

Snickers had a good laugh at the situation but I was ticked. He almost crushed some kid half to death and that chick thought it was so funny and that’s when I asked him my constantly asked but never answered question, “What’s right with you?”


“You” he answered.

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
What's right with you?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
He who laughs, lasts!
-- Mary Pettibone Poole

No comments: