As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Coffee with a Side Order of Drama

Talk about one annoyingly rude Korean man on a major high power trip!!! This was the scene that went down today outside the window seat where I sat sipping on coffee with Kat. Neither Kat nor I knew what had really happened but something had surely happened.

All I know is that some Korean man had taken it upon himself to confront two young male teens outside Coffee Bean downtown for one reason or another. He showed up with a bike (we assume he had chased down the two teens on it) and upon confronting them, he made them sit on their knees on the cold damp ground for all the downtown crowd to see. I felt so embarrassed for the two boys and seriously wanted to tell the older man to relax.


At first it was a local security officer who stepped in and tried to make sense of the drama that was going down.
But when the Korean man, who clearly was milking the whole "I'm-older-so-I'm-right" Korean hierachical thinking, ignored the security gaurd police were then called in. And thank God too cause honestly if I had to see such crap go down for any longer I would have seriously gone outside and given that man a piece of my own mind.
I know Koreans are all about age, the older you are the more power and respect you're given, but I've seen way too many Koreans totally take advantage of this social norm. Today was mad proof of this fact too!!! I know you should respect your elders but Korea takes it to a whole different level, a level that most foreigners don't agree with. And as far as I'm concerned, respect at the level to which so many -- too many -- older Koreans have come to expect is to be earned!!! I don't see what a grown man bullying two teens not even half his age when combined really teaches them, beyond many negative things that is. He was flat out humiliating them... what a bully. What a big, over-grown, over-aged bully!!!

Anyways, the police took the two teens away in the cop car and the annoying Korean man drove off on his bike.

All this went down while Snickers was at Granny Kim's house. He had stayed over last night at her house with other members of the K-Fam and it wasn't until much later in the evening today that he returned.

And in between coffee with Kat and the return of Snickers, I chillaxed with Mi Nam, caught up on some emailing and played around with Photoshop.
QUESTION OF THE DAY...
What social norm do you think too many people push to extremes?
QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Some people have so much respect for their superiors they have none left for themselves.
-- Peter McArthur

No comments: