As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Saturday in Suwon... Saturday, February 12

Simple story, today I went to a Korean wedding and because I don't care to talk about Korean weddings much less go to them, I thought I'd post some pictures instead.

Snickers is friends with the groom and, because Snickers is my husband, I went to this wedding. I got dressed up, wore a skirt that looked more like it was painted on, a blouse that was too frilly and so not me, and a pair of shoes that left my feet numb.
So why did I wear such a painfully uncomfortable outfit, you ask, simple. It was a 200 Korean-only wedding and I am a foreigner. I anticipated being somewhat on show, after all I was the purple elephant in the room, metaphorically speaking. Being introduced as the "Canadian boxer who punches her friends to show she likes them" definitely added to the looks.
The wedding lasted exactly 32 minutes, which is average for these kind of modern Korean weddings that are basically an inche short of being a Las Vegas wedding. I think I'd prefer a Las Vegas wedding... hahaha. Korean weddings are too much about image and show... no feeling. The camera woman pacing up and down the isle during and after the wedding got on my nerves. Snickers sensed this and noted, "If this was our wedding, you would KO her!" Yup, he knows me too well.
But it wasn't my wedding, so I tried to ignore my own distaste for the situation and just enjoy the company that surrounded me. I had been joined up with six of Snickers' friends for the event. Snickers' best friend, Wonder Boy, posed as my second date, Snickers being the first of course.

When Wonder Boy and Snickers are together, look out. They get ultra silly and stir up a lot of trouble. A while back Wonder Boy broke up with his ex-girlfriend, a girl Snickers nicknamed "Poo-Girl" after first meeting her. Ok, so he didn't really nickname her Poo-Girl, that was me taming down what he really called her. Unfortunetly for Wonder Boy however, Poo-Girl's nickname became quite appropriate and she proved to be more poo than initially suspected.
I won't go more into the details of Poo-Girl but will note that she went out of her way to run into Wonder Boy when we were entering a pool hall. I watched window side as the two argued and then watched as she pushed him. One push was ok but the second and third push were definitely uncalled for.
"Push him again and you won't be able to push anything again!" I told her.
I'm not for guys hitting chicks but I don't think it's fair for girls to go around hitting guys. No one should hit anyone else but leaning on this double standard is so cheap.
QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Do you believe in an eye for an eye?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Play nice in the sandbox or don't play at all.
-- Author Unknown

No comments: