As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, March 18, 2011

The Return of Hype?!... Friday, March 18

Today the newspapers were buzzing with news of Lee Si Young, a South Korean actress who stepped in the ring yesterday to win the Korean national amateur championship. As it turns out, she started boxing last year when she was casted as a female boxer for a Korean TV drama. She did it as a means of learning the role and she trained with Hong Soo Hwan, a former world champion boxer. Despite the TV show never taking on life, it never even made it to air, Si young continued to box because she enjoyed it so much.

Now that's my kind of girl, a girl that loves the ring.

Her agency, GnG Production, told reporters "Acting is her day job, and boxing is a hobby... We've agreed that she can keep boxing as long as it doesn't affect her acting career." Honestly though, I'd love to see this particular girl continue on with her boxing and possibly turn pro. Korean boxing has changed so much even in the short time that I've been involved in it. She could be exactly what Korea needs to put a whack of interest and hype back into boxing and its' live fights... not to mention she fights at my weight... hint, hint.


QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Do you do what you love?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
My passions were all gathered together like fingers that made a fist. Drive is considered aggression today; I knew it then as purpose.
-- Bette Davis

No comments: