As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, December 02, 2012

A Change in Plans... Sunday, December 2

It's no big secret, us wanting to start our own boxing club is going to cost us an arm and a leg, so it's inevitable that the issue of money become a sensitive and explosive issue at times. 

Today was one of those times. 

The other day Snickers took it upon himself to buy a whack of clothes for me.  I found this out the other day when I was home and the delivery guys came one after another.  Now I'm sure most women would be thrilled at this but I'm not one of these women.  When I approached Snickers about it, he told me that he bought them for me because he knows I've been complaining about my clothes lately.  I blame it on having an overloaded 16hr schedule for the past couple of weeks.  I wake up feeling like I just went to sleep, so I'm still exhausted from the day before and then I have limited time to gather my stuff and head out to do it all over again.  Having to pick out clothes that are both comfortable and suitable for teaching, attending whatever business meeting and then sitting through night school is annoying in the morning... so I complain.  

I didn't know whether to be insulted at the fact he spent a good chunk of our money or the fact that they're not my style, which leads me to another frustration.  Either he doesn't know my style by now or he's trying to change it -- both equally insulting.  

I'm not usually this annoyed or frustrated but with us trying to start up a new boxing club, we really have to be money wise.  Yesterday when I was out shopping, I saw so many things that I would just love to splurge on but, honestly, everything appears differently to me now.  Now when I look at things, I think of a million and one things I could buy for my boxing club instead.  A winter jacket I wanted to buy, in my mind, would cost me a shoe shelf or my manager's desk, not the $300 as stated on the price tag.  

Snickers says I worry too much about things.  He's always telling me not to worry, claiming that things always work out.  I, however, argue that things work out only because I worry about them.  

Today when I was getting ready for the Thanksgiving dinner party we both were to attend, he told me to try on some of the clothes he had bought me -- a shirt in the colour I hate (red), and a pair of pants that looked like they were going through some kind of identity confusion.  Were they pants or a skirt, both apparently.  And as quick as I struggled to get in them I struggled to throw them off me.  Snickers wasn't impressed.  Of course I could have been more conscious with doing so but I just couldn't believe he had spent so much money on something I really don't need.  

He was more than not impressed actually, he was ticked. 

He ended up driving a bunch of us out to where the Thanksgiving dinner was but then he refused to come in. He backed up and drove away, leaving me holding my pasty pudding and a confused look on my face.  I felt rather embarrassed heading in without him but what could I do.  

I knew I was partly to blame -- I should have been more sensitive to him -- but so was he.  We're risking a lot with starting our own boxing club and though I'm sure these clothes won't make it or break the deal, they definitely won't help it.  Money is going to be tight and I am quite alright with that because it's for a greater purpose -- our dream.  We have NO idea where we're going to get all the funding to fund our club so every little bit helps.  

Regardless of the fact that Snickers wasn't there, I did enjoy the dinner but I really wished he had came. I always enjoy seeing how the girls interact with him.  Oddly enough he's always saying he doesn't really care for foreigners or particularly feel comfortable around them but that's not the case when he's with any of my Flipside gal pals.  I think it's safe to say they're comfortable with them and I know he's impressed by many of them for not only their hard training but for being confident women in a foreign country.  Anyways, him leaving like that really was uncomfortable and I think it's only appropriate he apologize, at least to the hostess who had been expecting him and who had gone way out of her way to prepare such a beautiful dinner.    

No comments: