As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Disappointment 101... Tuesday, February 26

I was all excited and pumped about my big business meeting with Adidas… and then I wasn’t.  

I went into this meeting honestly already set on working alongside them and I had told them that it’s not me they have to win over by Snickers.  But offering to do our interior – an expense that is very low on our budget considering all of the already existing mirrors and lack of wall space because of them – was where they lost both of us.  I feel terrible too in acknowledging this because I’ve always been very grateful for their continual support.  They've supported me since day one when I went pro with my boxing.  

I was willing to suck up the extra expense that'd come with using only their products vs. a Korean brand but offering to do my interior and bombarding my walls their name just doesn’t interest us.  We’re trying so very hard to make our own name, to wear a name and image that not only represents our dream but also that of our members.  I have big ideas with a motivational wall and quotes on the wall.  I want my Flipside Fitness gals to walk in and see their reason to get fit painted up on the wall starring back down at them, just like I want others to look up and see selected motivational quotes pushing them to train harder. 

I know this boxing club is a business but honestly it’s not about making crazy cash, nor is about spending crazy cash either and wearing someone else’s name.  My dream was never about money.  It was about doing something I love and supporting myself with it.  

Adidas talked to us about reaching a max of 500 members and I don’t want 500 members.  Honestly, I really don’t care to have over 100.  My members will be my extended family and I’m sorry but there’s no way I’m going to remember 500 names.  For goodness sake, I sometimes mix up my four-legged friend’s names and call Snickers Pyen Chi.. hahaha.  I want that close knit feeling that comes with having regulars and a smaller club.  I already think 100 is plenty but 500?!  It's definitely going to kill the dynamics of our so-called "extended family".

I quite enjoyed our meeting in that they were very supportive and super nice but I was rather disappointed that they didn’t present us with an attractive offer that actually pertained to us.  Now if they were to throw in an Adidas boxing ring into the deal than yes, I would consider it some more but as it stands we are both not sold on it. 

I have NO idea on how I’m going to tell them this though perhaps if they read my homepage they now know.  It’s obvious that Adidas was quite impressed with the size and dynamics of our club but their offer did not reflect this.  We know we're a boxing club unlike any other in Korea and they know this too so they really need to approach us with a better offer. 

A three hour meeting in all Korean – my head hurts.
A three hour meeting in all Korean with only an offer of interior design – my heart hurts. 

Moreover, I let Snickers take Pyen Chi to the breeders yesterday so that I could gain interior design rights and control of the floor plan.  I’m definitely not about to give that up, you mad?!  They’re going to have to come up with a better plan or take a back seat.  

No comments: