As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, February 25, 2013

I had a morning meeting at Seoul Global Center with one of my teachers from the business start-up school I attended.  It was great to pick his brain about some key things I've been worried about.  And in addition to all the great help he gave me, he sent me on my way with two books, about a zillion-billion pages of info and a much-needed number for a respectable attorney. 
When I left my meeting, I ran into this massive line at the subway station.  The line went straight down the subway station and then looped around.  There seriously must have been at least 200 older Korean men.
 Curiously, I followed their line and low and behold what should I see that all these men are lined up for free haircuts.  They had three barbers cutting and chopping away. It was actually quite cute, all these Korean men waiting for their haircut.  
 And then, while on the bus ride back to Cheonan, I realized that this scene was in fact not cute at all; it was sad.  As it turns out, the city of Seoul offers free haircuts once a month to it's homeless.  Finding this out definitely took the cuteness out of the shot and made me view it a whole other way!

No comments: