As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, April 03, 2013

 This boxing club is a lot of work, no doubt, and both Snickers and I have poured our heart, soul and bank account into it.  We wake up with it on our mind and our pillow talk, before we drift off to la-la-la, now centers around it. 
We are determined and the more and more we move forward with it, the more and more we're falling in love with our club.  Sounds funny to say but it's so true.  Today we tested out new equipment and it felt so good to know that I'll be starting off ALL our members with fresh, unbroken-into equipment -- equipment that we can score sweet deals on them too if they want their own stuff.  Felt proud on that score!!!
Our boxing club clearly wouldn't even be able to become more than just a dream in our head if it weren't for those involved, like our reno/gutting crew.  There's a total of five of them that worked for us for 2 days.
K-Gere may be my only in-law that really honestly supports Snickers and my dream but he's been coming everyday to help us out and get down and dirty with the workers.  Tomorrow he's heading to Seoul to look into our floor padding and negotiate the price.
 Our friend Five Star-- manager of La Cubo -- dropped by today to give us some encouraging words and then when we returned home our friend 3Pak, he is actually also our insurance man, showed up with food.  He knew we'd be returning home exhausted and hungry... and that we were!!! 
When I opened the door to accept my iHerb Internet purchase of protein shake and coupons, we were told we had two packages actually.  A local doctor who used to sponsor Snickers' boxing sent us a drill -- a much-needed item!!!  (By the way, no animal was hurt in Snickers' boyish playing with the drill though I must admit this picture looks dangerous!)
Then, the Comeback Kid showed up to drop off the neck warmer I had lent her.  After she left, I opened the bag to throw it in the wash and low and behold there was a little note and some gifts.
Late in the evening I then recieved an email that contained two overly positive messages from two people and was seriously and incrediably moved.  Perhaps I'll share these emails later this week.
Talk about an overdose of awesome people in my life!!!

No comments: