As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, April 04, 2013

Busy with the Challenges of Business... Thursday, April 4

I was supposed to lead ROBO Time –Long Run. I was supposed to take some of the Flipside Fitness ladies out for a 17km but after a long day of nonstop meetings and running around all of Cheonan, one meeting kept me longer than expected so I had to cancel.
I hate canceling plans, especially training plans.
Today’s meetings:
  1. Breakfast meeting with sponsor
  2. Meet with our house landlord for legal documents
  3. Bank meeting
  4. WOW Motors
  5. Cheonan city water works department
  6. Lunch sponsor meeting
  7. Hyundai dealership meeting
  8. Quote meeting from water plumping company #1
  9. “ “ #2
  10. “ “ #3
  11. City Hall meeting
  12. Floor samples meeting
  13. Meeting regarding electrical crew quote
When one of my sponsors caught wind that I had canceled my training for tonight they ringed me up and laid it on me thick, reminding me that I have to set an example. “But you’re a professional athlete” seems to always be what they throw on me and apparently this also means I’m immune to being allowed to lean on any kind of excuse card. Perhaps they think I have nothing else on my plate but training, health and fitness.  Oh who am I kidding, that is ALL that preoccupies my mind, well that and boxing of course.

Yesterday’s sponsor challenge was rough in that I did it after a night of only three hours sleep and after a 12 hour work day. Tonight’s sponsor challenge made Tuesday’s challenge seem so much easier. Increasing my pace speed is hard but on Tuesday it definitely helped that I had the added pressure of three men running beside me and setting the pace. I merely had to make sure I moved my legs fast enough and kept up. Tonight’s challenge, however, was done on my own. I didn’t have the support of anyone running alongside me. I used to be all anti-running partners but now perhaps I’ve become somewhat dependent on them. They definitely help to pass the time, add some extra pressure, and they also help to push me to continue. I quite enjoy the company but now my problem is heading out for a run by myself; how ironic.

TUESDAY'S CHALLENGE: run 10km, keeping the pacing under 5min/km.
TONIGHT'S CHALLENGE: short run, under 5min/km but with the weight of extra winter layers – second-skin body suit, (keeps in body heat), hooded sweater, and a two-piece winter track suit.

I'm no hero or super star for taking on and killing the challenges, perhaps some may even call me a bit crazy for pushing myself like I do, but I do appreciate the challenges. What doesn’t challenge you doesn’t change you. Honestly, I had such a tummy ache this afternoon and would have loved to postpone this challenge. I think I may have ate some bad chicken at the restaurant, I don’t know. All I know was I wanted nothing more than to puke my brains out and curl up on the floor. I was curled up on the couch when my sponsor messaged me, pushing me to go train.

“No excuses” I told myself. I may accept excuses from others but certainly not from myself.

For the past month or so my work days have been literally blending into each other and if you asked me what I did yesterday I may not even know what day of the week was yesterday. My today may be my yesterday just continued.  In slaving away at our boxing club, my passion, priorities and dedication have definitely been tried, tested and revealed. Consequently, I’ve come to the following conclusions:
  • If something is a priority to you, you’ll do what you have to do to do it.
  • If someone says they’re too busy for you (or for something), it means you’re just not a priority to them.
  • Don't ask anyone more than twice to do something -- either they don't care to do it in the first place, don't know how to do it or it's not important enough to them to remember the first time you told them.
  • Time is not created, it is found.
  • Don't assume, expect, or wait for anyone or anything.
  • Not everyone is going to share your passion or your level of it and that’s ok.

No comments: