As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, October 19, 2013

A Wedding Hall full of Melted Women... Saturday, October 19

After attending my friend 3Pak's wedding, I have to say that is honestly the longest and sweetest Korean wedding I have ever been to in the 9 years I've been living here.  I've been to my fair share of Korean weddings and they always somehow leave me feeling sad and sorry for those in it.  Korean weddings are orchestrated in a way that Korea thinks is modern and perhaps westernized but it's ultra quick, overly materialistic and super superficial. 
 
But not today's wedding.
 
Today's wedding had been so carefully personalized and everything about it oozed of 3Pak.  Whether it was the carefully selected overly pretty wedding hall itself or the service, it was quite different than any other Korean wedding I've been to.  The wedding service started off with a wedding proposal.  I've never seen this before but it was super romantic.  1Pak got down on one knee, proposed to 2Pak, she said yes, accepted his flowers, and then the service started.
 
During the middle of the service, it was announced that 1Pak was going to sing to 2Pak.  I whispered to Snickers, asking him if 1Pak was a good singer and he frowned.  Then the music started.  1Pak spoke some words to 2Pak and then he began to sang.  Out from his lips came a very boyish voice but it was quite sweet and cute.  Halfway through the song he started to get choked up and then the tears came.  Some of the men in the crowd teased him while others clapped.  Snickers and our buddies giggled but I knew every woman in the room at that very moment was melting.  1Pak, with his boyish voice, small figure, perfect hair, and tears streaming from his eyes had captured the hearts of every gal in the wedding hall.  Many of us gave a big "awhhhhh" in unison and I noticed I wasn't the only one clasping their hands over their heart. 
 
That was my absolute favourite moment of 3Pak's wedding -- him trying to sing to her.
 
After the service they did the usual pictures with family and friends.  Snickers thought it'd be funny to photobomb one shot -- "photobomb", his new word of the day.  We photobombed one of the bouquet-throwing shots by Snickers throwing a flower at me and me going to catch it.  One of the guests caught our photobomb and had a huge long giggle over it.  Am sure 3Pak will get a giggle too. 
 
Two and a half hours after we had showed up for the wedding, we were finally leaving.  We chatted for a bit with 3Pak down in the reception dinner area where they stood changed into their beautiful matching hanboks.  They looked so happy and they kept throwing huge smiles our way even after our conversation ended and we were far from them in the room.  They're such a beautiful couple.  2Pak is one of Snickers' good friends and a little over 2 years ago I hired him to be my insurance man.  He takes care of all my boxing injuries and it's because of him my broken nose scored me a sweet paycheck.  Anyways, it is through him we met 2Pak and together the four of us have had several couple dates.  They're probably the only couple amongst Snickers' friends that I'll always agree to doing a couple date with because they're drama free and though they're not really into sports or outdoorsy things, they're super sweet and so geeky fun.  They've got this little mini car that has one of those old school CB radios and I remember once I was walking by Yawoori when they used it to get my attention.  All of a sudden, totally out of the blue, I heard someone in their car yelling my name and it blasted through the downtown street for everyone to hear it.  Turns out the loud sound was coming from a super cute car, being blasted by an even cuter couple -- 3Pak.

No comments: