As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Congrats Cheonan... Saturday, October 25

After yesterday's once-in-a-rare blue moon fight with Snickers that kicked the day off to a rocky start [omitted in yesterday's entry], dealing with a situation that may have resulted in a now pregnant Pyen Chi [story also omitted], the whole fiasco with a possibly broken into club, being spat on by a pesky parker, being the center of attention in some silly article that was overly discussed, argued upon and joked about on Facebook, and then being called out by a sponsor because of it, I woke up exhausted today.

Exhausted but not defeated.

I attended the morning meeting today with my potential sponsor and when I walked in I was greeted with over sized frowns.  It was a very humbling experience, let me tell you, sitting there being lectured and finger pointed at like a naughty child.  Steve Syme, the writer of yesterday's "interesting" article, in taking things from my homepage way out of context, failed to realize that the nickname he lied and said I gave him in a situation that never happened was in fact the nickname I had given to a member at our club.  But this member isn't just any member, definitely no.  Kato is the nickname I gave to a 19 year old Korean male I train, whose English level is probably one of the best amongst our Korean members.  He is the son of our club's main financial sponsor -- a very successful business man who not only owns one of Cheonan's most successful imported car dealership but also a well-known upper class restaurant.  So when word got out that his son may or may not have had a part in this article, you best believe it's going to be talked about among potential sponsors, taken note of and certainly not laughed off. 

Point one I was yelled about.

Point two was the last two lines of the article.

Perhaps foreigners in Cheonan aren't aware of Korea's strict drug laws and their zero tolerance to illegal drug use.  Perhaps they also have no idea that the Cheonan jail has been converted into a foreigners-only facility and that many of it's inmates are there doing time for drug-related crimes, like drug trafficking and drug use.  Making a joke about me in such a manner, suggesting I have any kind of association to drugs or take them myself, is no joke to a sponsor who has invested over $65,000 into me and doesn't want his reputation connected to someone who may have such an association.

A list of names were then read out.  I recognized many of them as being commenters on the article and that's when I interrupted and stopped them to read something I had typed up.  I was too fuming to make up anything on the spot that'd make sense and that would make this meeting stop.

"I stand before you today as a young business entrepreneur, long time resident of Cheonan, a non Korean and NOT as a member of 'those foreigners'-- a the group you've labelled as "lacking a common respect" and who are "proudly destructive towards each other".   
This group you were so quickly to associate me with is a group that goes against the very principles that Hulk's represents, encourages, and stands for.  The community I'm associated with, the Hulk community if you want to call it that, consists of everyday people, both Korean and non Korean, who respect each other and are fun-loving, positive people.  If you refer back on those comments connected to the article of issue, you will see that many of my members and even many non members took it upon themselves to fight on behalf of Hulk's and defend it despite them themselves risking any personal attack.  That's the real Hulk mentality, staying strong and supporting each other, not causing distasteful destruction.  I train an amazing crew of people that I fully respect and admire so I will not let you sit here and group them nor me in a category that is filled with lower class individuals who have nothing better to do than further spread their pathetic ignorance and inappropriate negativity.  That is not right and that is not fair.  Having said this, my sponsorship proposal unfortunately did include ALL foreigners of Cheonan -- it was not limited or restricted to just members of Hulk's Boxing.   I do not want to help ALL foreigners in Cheonan anymore.  I faught you and your committee of business men for months over this particular sponsorship proposal but now the very people I am fighting for have become the very people I am fighting against.  I don't want to fight for them and fight against them at the same time so I've decided to let them be.  Let them deal with themselves because I do not any of the negative association that comes with being one of "those foreigners".
I do not want to continue this talk about the article and all it's comments because I do not personally know the author or his intentions.  I don't think he meant to do the damage that you and I all know has been done so I know I will get no appology from him.  Instead, I leave him to his own conscious and the bad karma he's built.  Moreover, I can not comment on those who rudely responded to his piece because I do not know many of them.  They have never trained at Hulk's nor will they ever be allowed to so it's obvious their words have no weight or noteworthy substance.  
I am sorry I have wasted your time, effort and consideration in this matter as I am also sorry I have wasted mine.  I stand here today on behalf of Hulks, of all 169 members I have previously and currently trained, on behalf of all local and international businesses that have supported us, and on behalf of my husband and I.  On behalf of all of us, I apologize for this misunderstanding but let it be known that we at Hulk's are not apart of the negative community you've assumed -- the negative community that has ultimately brought about the purpose of this sudden meeting and the immediate dismissal of my sponsorship proposal.  I can reassure you anyone belonging to that community will not be allowed to join my boxing club.  I am so deeply sorry that what could have and would have been something so great for all of us as a greater community was tainted and spoiled by those who are ignorant enough to not see what they've caused.  Please accept my most sincere apology and thank you for your time and consideration in this matter."

And on that note I stood up, bowed and left the board room.  Goodbye sponsorship.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stay strong Amy.