As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Feeling Stuffed... Wednesday, October 30

My homepage readership numbers skyrocketed on Saturday after Friday's article about Hulk's hit the web -- my usual 300 went to over 530 readers in one day, wow.  And now everyone wants to know what's becoming of that article -- are sponsors still ticked, who is on the first-ever Hulk's blacklist, what are the future repercussions of this article for Hulk's and its' sponsors, etc., etc..

I've fought too hard and been through too much to let any kind of negativity enter into my life and today I really didn't care to deal with more people asking me about or talking to me about what has become referred to simply as The Article.  It's been almost a full week since The Article and the trail it's leaving of comments, questions, and consequences is strong.

An impressive sponsorship has been lost, ignorant people have had their laughs, faithful members of Hulk's have voiced their support, compassionate friends have shown their concern, pushy legal advisers have pressured me, and discouraged sponsors have voiced their opinion quite loudly.

I had a 1am meeting regarding The Article last night, got home shortly after 2am, and then I had to prepare for my 7am meeting.  My 7am meeting that was also about The Article.  Both meetings proved to be quite productive and actually very positive.  My meeting last night was with the author of The Article and I left feeling quite relieved about the whole situation actually.  Despite all that was written in his article, I really respected him coming to sit and talk with me about it.  He apologized that it was all blown out of control via people leaving nasty comments and commenters bickering among themselves.  I really respected that but knew it really wasn't his fault.  Idiots will be idiots and ignorant people too ignorant to know their ignorance are going to be, well, ignorant.

Like I've always stated before, there's always good in bad just like there's bad in good.  Last night the author of The Article proposed an idea I think just very well bring out the good in what's become a bad situation.  I won't go into details because it's not for sure and it's something needing further discussion, but I'm really pushing Snickers to get in with us on this idea.  Cheonan has no idea what we've got up our sleeve but it's good... oh it's real good.

Until then, until I decide what to do with this situation and persue the proposed idea, there's still a mess I'm left cleaning up.  It's been a mess -- a mental mess.

I try very hard to not associate myself with negative people and drama, hence why I keep to myself outside of the club and don't like big group settings.  I've created this awesome life for myself and it's taken me a long time to get to this point in my life -- this point where I'm in love with my life and happy.  I used to be this bitter foreigner living in Cheonan who thought my home country had the upper hand and Korea owed me something.  Wasn't too sure what it owed me or why but I felt it did.  Korea owes me nothing and I now see that Korea's given me everything -- wicked health courtesy of a lack of stress and positive people to train with, a platform for my dream to take life, a husband, and an extended family via in-laws, awesome friends and club members.

I really don't care to let negativity enter my life or be associated with my boxing club so today I felt I really shouldn't be at work.  I wasn't mentally distracted, I was just mentally exhausted.  So, on that note, I left work.

No comments: