As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Focused on the Plank... Thursday, October 17

I got beat by a girl, it's true.
 
My day started off with the arrival of a new fierce "girl" in my life and ended with another fierce woman in my life kicking my butt, nice.  I can take the beating.  No ego was bruised, no problem.  And, if anything, I kind of took the beating with a stride of pride actually because it wasn't just some girl who beat me, gosh no.  It was a fierce female whom I've been training for perhaps almost two years now actually. 
 
Don't get me wrong though, I'm super proud that out of all the names on this month's monthly challenge list one of my fierce Flipside Fitness femizons kicked major butt, but this has officially initiated quite the competition amongst us!!!  Actually, there are two Flipside Fitness gals right up there on the list -- they've scored first and third place among us women.  I'm second.
 
Second place may mean "not good enough" in my head but I'm super stoked about the competition it's sparked because it means that strong women ARE amongst me here.  Feels so good to know that I'm training amongst some super tough gals who aren't just pretty faces, smiles and laughs.  They've got mean hooks, cruel jabs, and apparently super strong abs too!!!
 
Second place, hmmm.... am already pondering ways to change that.
 
If doing HIIT sprints helps to increase my overall time in long runs then there's got to be some way to increase my time for the plank.  I think I've worked it out.  I did the plank yesterday -- Wednesday, October 16th -- and now it's Thursday, October 17th.  Round two of the plank challenge, where I'll have do the plank again and see if I've increased my time, starts on Monday, November 18th and runs to the 20th. If I wait to go late and go on the 20th, then I'll have 34 days until I have to do the plank again.

34 days...

34 days minus the day of the actual challenge, minus one day of recovery from the last practice session before the second challenge and a day of rest... that brings me to only 31 days.

31 days...

Perhaps I should take two full days recovery right before the last practice and the second challenge.

30 days...

I know I can do 4 minutes but that was pure pain -- it was a full body experience let me tell you!!!  So I'm going to take it nice and slow for a bit; I'm going to start off at 2 minutes and build up from there.  If I start off at two minutes, aim high and shoot to double my time (talk about shooting for the stars here), then I have 30 days to work my way up to 8 minutes. 
 
An eight minute plank, am I crazy?!  Perhaps, by why aim low when I can aim high.  Even if I fail to get this ridiculously unimaginable 8 minute plank, I'll at least know I gave it my best shot.

30 days to work up to 8 minutes with a start tomorrow at 2 minutes.  This means I have to some how come up with 6 minutes. Hmmm.... Well, here's the plan and here's the end to all this rambling.  My plan is to start tomorrow, train every single day and increase my time every time by a full 15 seconds.  I've never been one to suggest, support or even practice the daily training of a particular muscle group but I figure a 2+minute plank every day can be my first exception to this thought.  And sure, perhaps my competition may be reading this, so be it.  Good.  All the fiercer competition!!!
 
In 30 days, let the toughest woman win!!!

No comments: