As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Project Boys are in the House... Thursday, October 24

Snickers has a new project, two actually with a possible third, and I'm somewhat jealous.
 
Enter in the Project Boys -- one member who is eager to drop weight for his son's upcoming first birthday celebration and a returning member who realized we were right in pushing consistency with training hard and eating clean.  He wants to drop weight because of a possible business venture he wants to explore and, to be perfectly honest, because he wants to get a girlfriend.  Being all trimmed and toned definitely won't guarantee him a girl, let's be honest, but it surely will give him the confidence that he needs to approach women.  He's always been the cute, pudgy friend.  And while I've reassured him that he probably has more women feeling comfortable around him because he's so cute and friendly looking, this is Korea and this country is very image crazy.  He's eager to change his image and kick himself out of that "friends-only" category.
 
I'm thinking about snatching up Snickers' second Project Boy (the cute "friends-only" guy) because he reacts to me very differently than he does to Snickers; he's more responsive to what I say.  We're very buddy-buddy and he's got a sweet tooth for me that I think I can really use to help insure his success and speed it up.  His weakness is his eating and one of my strengths is eating clean. 
 
Snickers is notoriously known for his intense training but these days it's me who has been training harder and I definitely eat cleaner than him too.  Snickers trains members much harder than me and I've been trying to change this -- I don't want to be known as a soft coach.  There are numerous members that train solely with me just like there are others who only train with Snickers but I try hard to interact with them all and let them know I'm here to help.  I've noticed too that I have a different kind of influence on various members for various reasons. 
 
My influence over this particular Project Boy -- Project Boy #2 -- is that I'm a female and "my kind" is exactly why he's returned to Hulk's.  He's trying to attract girls and well, I'm a girl.  So while Snickers may yell at him during training and argue with him about missing training, my approach with him is much softer.  I haven't had to be so in-your-face or loud with him -- Snickers calls it "V-Power" with the "V" standing for a random word I made up that refers to the female anatomy.  Anyways...  a simple frown from me when he walks in the club instantly gets me an apology from him for being late.  During training I'll stand beside him and he'll give me that one extra rep that perhaps yes he may have given Snickers but not without Snickers having to yell at him.  All I have to do is just be there.  After training we usually talk about what he should and shouldn't be eating and I know that all I have to do is shake my head and he takes note.  This particular member has become a good friend of mine and I want him to succeed, not just because he is my friend but because I know it'll give him the confidence to really share himself and show how great he really is.
 
He takes direction differently from me and Snickers noted it tonight.  "It's kind of like how I used to be with my hair... well, back when I actually paid attention to it", I told Snickers.  "I always favored getting a guy to do my hair.  A guy knows what he thinks is an attractive woman so why the heck would I want a women to tell me what she liked?!  I wasn't trying to attract women."  Ok, so getting my hair trimmed and trimming down your body aren't the same thing but they're somewhat connected.  The point is that I've obviously been able to get to Project Boy #2 differently than Snickers because I am a the sex he is trying hard to attract -- I am a woman.  My word has a different validity to it in comparison to Snickers'.  Call it "V-Power" or don't, it's obviously gotten him to return to Hulk's to start training with me and that's pretty awesome.  I look forward to his success.

No comments: