As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Year of Hulk's... Thursday, October 10

Despite untangling the so-called strings attached to my boxing license, I found out I am a free agent.  According to KBC rules, when a boxer signs with a manager the contract lasts for five years.  The contract can be broken, like all rules apparently, but the boxer would have to buy out the remaining of his contract.  Last Saturday marked my 6th year of my boxing license and one year of freedom from my coach's contract that I was unaware of. 
 
I am free.
 
Recently I've been eagerly wanting to call up KBC and renew my boxing contract but under my new coach -- Snickers.  I've decided to hold off until 2014.  This year isn't supposed to be about my boxing, it's only supposed to be about Hulk.
 
In December of 2012, after Snickers and I broke the news to Junior Mint that we'd be leaving UP Boxing to start our own boxing, Snickers and I both agreed that if we were seriously going to do this we'd have to go 100% at it.  There'd be no holding back, no detouring, no breaking and no other side distractions.  Making our dream -- making Hulk's -- would require our undivided attention. 
 
2013 would be the year of Hulk's Boxing, that would be our only focus.
 
In making 2013 all about Hulk's, plane tickets to visit family in friends got cashed in and put towards renovations, buying things for ourselves meant just getting the necessities, and our weekly 'secret money' was eliminated entirely.  Countless sleepless nights and endless days of work became a regular thing as did working on our days off.  I've never really had to budget things but in making Hulk's I've had to scrape by for things. 
 
Hulk's Boxing has only officially been open for 4 months now and we'll be ending this year with it being half a year open.  Only 4 months and yet I can't even begin to tell you all the blood, sweat and tears that have been poured into it, the bank accounts we've emptied into it and the hours of effort put towards it.  Never in my life have I worked so bloody hard or been so passionate about.  When members complain about their paychecks or talk about an upcoming payday, I can't help but joke about the lack of mine.  "I'll get paid next year" I tell them. 
 
No regrets though, absolutely no regrets... well, besides wearing my good Adidas pants during construction!!!
 
In making this year all about Hulk's, both Snickers and I have really tried hard to make it all about Hulk and family and friends have had to take a back seat to it.  It's been over 2 years since I last saw my family and friends in Canada but I have to stay focused on Hulk's.  Visiting them will be great for me and Snickers but ultimately it won't do anything for Hulk's beyond taking us away from it and postponing things that we could really use our plane ticket money for.
 
I need a goal.
 
I need a goal to keep me focused and driven with what I'm doing for me.   Redoing a 10km race that I failed to meet my goal time wasn't supposed to be it.  I needed this fight in China but this is the year of Hulk's, this year isn't about what I need for my boxing career or need in terms of goals.  So, having said this, I finally came to a decision today.  It was a decision I had made earlier on in the week actually but really had a hard time admitting and accepting it.  So, in keeping with my promise to focus solely on our boxing club, I contacted my boxing promoter and declined the fight offer in China.  China is two months too early.

No comments: