As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, November 18, 2013

First Snowfall means Winter Running kick-off!!!... Monday, November 18

Pyen Chi loves the snow which would be ok if she wasn't strong enough to open the massive fourteen footer front doors to let it all in.  Ya, that's exactly what happened today, a couple of times actually.   I froze my Polish tush off thanks to Pyen Chi's help, that's what happened today.
 
I've got a dog that wants to share her fascination of the snow with me, I husband who continually insists on training barefoot at the club, and a little heater on the juice bar counter that really couldn't relieve me of the chills I got from the above two images. 
 
Coal heater thingy-a-ma-jig to the rescue?!... not quite.
 
In the early evening we finally got our old school, country-style coal heater thingy-a-ma-jig up and running.  With one massive over sized puff of smoke, it was working but then it wasn't.  The club warmed up really quickly, not warm-warm but the temperature was definitely not make-my-lips-blue anymore.  Yes, that's how Snickers registers just how cold it is.  He says it's not really cold unless my lips go blue.  He thinks it's cute and funny but then again he's not the one wearing the blue lips.
 
So my lips went blue and then they returned to pink.  They quickly returned blue though when the coal heater thingy-a-ma-jig randomly stopped.  We haven't yet mastered how to start the start-up coals and our efforts have ranged from practical to strange and down-right dangerous. 

Our attendance numbers for members training today were at the lowest it's ever been -- only 19 people trained today -- and I definitely hold the first snowfall of 2013 responsible.  With only 19 members training today it meant I only 19 chances from 2pm to midnight to distract myself from the chill of the club.  On the flipside however and oddly enough, today was the busiest cash flow-in day.  Members wanting to avoid the chilly weather wired us their renewed monthly membership fees, we had two new members join our club and then we had one new member slap down a six month membership.  We don't even have a six month membership actually -- we have a one month and three month. 
 
Today marked the first official snowfall of 2013 for us here in Cheonan, South Korea which, for me, means that tomorrow I start my winter running training.  I may hate the winter chill but I love, love, L-O-V-E winter training.  It is by far my favourite kind of running, taking first place over my crazy midnight long runs.
 
Top Ten Reasons why Winter Running beats Other Seasonal Running...
 
1.  The joys of layering possibilities.
You can only peel off so many layers for summer running before you're practically naked but winter training beats the weather harshness with layering.
 
2.  It is uncomfortable training.
If productive training means training out of your comfort zone than winter running is perfect because it can be very uncomfortable -- unplowed roads, unshoveled paths, slush puddles and ice patches, potential black ice, and the extra force of the wind going against you. Then of course I should mention training with what feels like an extra ton of weight on your shoulders via the extra clothing layers.
 
3.  Smooth sailing, people-free paths.
No more mob crowds of people holding hands, blocking your path and bombarding your running space. The increase in cold weather is accompanied with a decrease in people leisurely walking around outside. 
 
4.  You're an improved runner come spring.
After winter training comes spring training and peeling the layers off for spring running after the heaviness of the added layers of winter training is awesome. It always increases my speed.  For the first couple of weeks of spring running I feel so light.
 
5.  Cold,  crisp winter air is awesome.
The air is so much better -- noticeably cleaner and fresher.  While the summer's humid heat is rough for those with asmha, it's blazing sun also dehydrates runners faster and makes for a brutal, kick-in-the-butt run that could be possibly dangerous to one's health. Fall and spring weather are also great for training but the crispness of the winter's chill is incomparable.
 
6.  Possibility to meet fitspirational people.
It's a great way to see, possibly met and be motivated by who in your city is just as hardcore as you with your training. Winter running isn't for everyone but I always have much respect for those who try to beat the winter chill and get out there to run.  They are pure fitspiration for me and though I don't see many on my path I do try to offer a thumbs up, a smile and often a good high five in passing when I see a fellow winter runner.
 
7.  Once you start you can't stop.
Winter running provides the perfect motivation to keep going -- it's either stop and freeze your or keep moving. 
 
8.  Bragging rights to a wicked workout.
Pure self satisfaction knowing you just kicked your own butt at training and did a workout that others may call you crazy for.
 
9.  A commitment-to-the-core test.
It truly tests your level of mental commitment to your training.  In addition to the physical challenges of a winter run there are also many mental challenges. It quickly gets darker earlier in the winter and this acts as a big mental discourager for many while for others it poses as a security concern.
 
10.  Impossible becomes possible.
 If you can run in brutal winter weather, all else seems possible because winter running means going against mental and physical challenges like no other seasonal training.

No comments: