As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, November 11, 2013

Phallic Symbol Day in Korea

 While the other side of the globe recognized today as being Remembrance Day, here in Korea we celebrated Ppeppero Day -- a holiday designated to those you like chocolate-dipped cookie sticks.
I don't have enough money to buy ALL those I like ppepperos so I settled with buying only those I could with what money I had on me and handing them out to various Hulk club members.
I bought a special box for Snickers but it was WOW who I gave a special letter and peppero to;)
I never did get any pepperos, perhaps my members know me too well to know I don't eat that kind of stuff, but I did get some ppeppero-shaped gifts.  The first was the completion of our heater, a surprise Snickers had came in early to fix it up for me. 
I also got chicken sticks, courtesy of the man I met a week ago -- the man from the Cheonan jail.
And I also scored two movie tickets from one of our new members... yahhh, cool!!!
I told Snickers, one ticket was for a reward for my race finishing time and another was for Ppeppero Day, but I'd be nice and let him have one;)
I got this too. Correction, I TOOK this off one of my members, a high school boy. 
I seriously thought he was handing out condoms to other high schooler, which only seemed too ironically funny considering the bombardment of phallic symbols, so I confronted him.  Turns out they're strawberry flavoured vitamins but boy did I have a good extended laugh over this.

No comments: