As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Strange and Deranged Kind of Day... Tuesday, November 12

It was a strange, deranged kind of day with lots of things that make you go "hmm" occuring today.

  • Scored a free taxi ride after the driver realized I coach his son at our club, how cool is that?! Pretty cool.
 
  • Got told I look evil by a member who apparently didn't like the big voice that came out of my tiny body as he trained. Yes, I am a yeller and yes I do yell at my Hulkies.  Strangely enough I don't yell as much to the non Korean members as I do to the Koreans.
 
  • "Hulkies" -- unofficial but cute name I've decided to refer to my boxing members as.
 
  • Received my first hate mail, which resulted in more hype and frowns by my sponsor as it did by me receiving it. Tomorrow he's going to go to the phone company and search out the sender because there's been a string of strangely-related odd things like this going on lately.
 
  • Snickers has decided break our one year no-fight promise we made after he was pitched an idea, an opportunity, that he felt was just too good to give up.  I'm on the fence about it.  I fear he may be biting off more than he can chew but I also know he's one of those people who can do anything and everything if he puts his mind to it so I'm trying my best to support him.
 
  • Amused myself by dressing up the headless, handless statue that's been spooking passer-byers. I only let him wear the boxing tank top and boxing gear until our first member arrived and then he got stripped down to his regular scary metal self.
 
  • Our beef-cake-of-a-man club security man dropped by and it was the first time we have ever seen him without a shirt that looks painted on or borderline seran wrap.
 
  • Not just one but two, that's how many flower pots Pyen Chi hit over today with her childbearing hips.  Smash went the pots and scatter went all the dirt over the floor. 
 
  • Someone stole our garbage today, how's that for strange?! Ya, exactly. After taking out three full large bags of garbage full of things from the club, like used paper and food packaging, some random lady decided to drag them away, down the street. 
 
  • Got our water bill for the month but that wasn't really strange, that was flat out scary!!!
 
  • One of my high school boys -- a young guy I just recently found out has been smoking for three years -- totally killed his time in our monthly plank challenge with holding a perfect-to-form plank for five minutes!!!  How was that even possible?! I mean, if he can do that after three years of smoking like a chimney, just imagine how much he could REALLY do if he was healthy!!!
 
  • The temperature dropped today and it got so cold in the club that the skin around my fingertips literally started to crack.  On my right hand, four of my five fingers have split open.  Snickers says me constantly doing dishes at the club doesn't help so he insisted me let him do them.  Ya, like that happened.  Dish duty resumed after about an hour of waiting for him to clean cups for our members.

No comments: