As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, November 22, 2013

Playing Parking Poker... Friday, November 22

Busy business I am working on...
1.  Tow truck hook-up
2.  New Year's resolution sale membership details
3.  Holiday club party
4.  Visa requirements so we can hire out of country
5.  Registering an out-of-country pro boxer under our name
6.  Signing an amateur boxer
7.  Christmas tradition translation (for club surprise)
8.  Dry food club collection
9.  Creating a 2014 club calendar

It only took one single hour for someone to try to call me on our bluff regarding the new parking sign and it's "non member cars will be towed".  We have yet to contact a tow truck company and arrange some kind of hook up or deal with them keeping our parking lot pesky-parker-free so when that first car parked there, I had to get creative. 
 
In Korea most drivers display their personal cell phone numbers on the dash of their car for this very reason -- if their car is blocking something and needs to be moved.  This first "victim" of my sign was no different.  I don't even bother to call these pesky parkers anymore, instead I text message them a picture of our no parking sign and they get the hint.  I used to amuse myself though, text messaging them that their car just was hit but now I really can't be bothered.  They're just down right annoying and it's become my biggest pet peeve. 
 
After sending a picture of the "non member cars will be towed" part of our sign, I then waited.
 
Five minutes later I spotted a man walking straight for the car.  When he approached I could tell he wasn't going to be nice enough to just move his car, he was going to test me.  Ironically enough, right when he opened his mouth to say something to me my phone rang.
 
Perfect bluff cover-up!
 
It was Snickers but I totally played it off as being the tow truck driver. 
 
"Yes, the car is still here... oh, ok.  I'll see you in ten minutes then, no problem."
 
I had bought myself 'bluff time'.  With only ten minutes till my bluff would be revealed as a bluff, I pushed it by standing right behind the pesky parker's car, making it impossible for him to pull out without hitting me.  "If you leave now, I'll still have to pay the tow truck driver.  He gets paid by the call if there's no car."  I then told him if there's no car it costs me $20 but if there is a car it costs the driver $50.  "It cost me $30 for this sign so no,  I do not have $20 for your car!"
 
And with that I sat on the trunk of his car.
 
A minute or two later it was announced I had won this round of parking-poker.  He handed me $20, I got off his trunk and then he drove away.  Honestly, a simple "I'm sorry" would have solved the whole issue but I've yet to have a pesky parker apologize so I'm starting to become a very skilled parking-poker player.

No comments: