As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A Brand New Meaning of New... Tuesday, December 31

With less than an hour to get things really and still having about a billion things to do, Snickers called me to come out.  I was in the office at Hulk's, working on our new year ad.

"He's here" he yelled and with that I jumped up and ran out.

T-Boy had arrived, super early and super smiley.  He's super quiet, only talks when talked to, and always uses honorific speech when he talks to Snickers and I.  I wasn't sure if it was nerves or just his personality that makes him to appear so shy.  Snickers thinks it's his desperation for us to help him that makes him be on his best behaviour.  Regardless, it was really interesting to meet this young guy that Snickers and I, and our sponsors too for that fact, have been having countless discussions about this past week.  And I didn't know if he was more eager to hear if we'd help him or I was more eager to meet him.  

We sat at the front of Hulk's, exchanging smiles and glances before we got into talking about what he had come here for.  After an early dinner out and some more discussion, T-Boy was overly smiley when he left Hulk's to catch the next subway to Seoul.  We had agreed to help him, had worked out the details of his work contract, pay and extras.  I thought when the agreement was made he'd be returning in a day or two after packing up his life in Seoul but he returned a few hours later.  And he returned with just a backpack.

It's official, Hulk's has adopted T-Boy as our newest Hulk family member.  

We worked all day cleaning out the back rooms behind the juice bar, converting one into a bedroom, and then we celebrated New Year's Eve together.  Originally, before thoughts of T-Boy ever entered our head, the plan was to throw a private party at Hulk's and invite friends and select of-age club members.  Party plans were quickly thrown out the window however once we started to plan for T-Boy but, as it turned out, our quiet little night turned out to be quite the big party.  Word got out that we were at Hulk's and friends started showing up.  One brought cake while another brought juice for midnight toasting and others brought pizza.  One even brought the very vehicle he and I had been talking about the other day -- a Porsche SUV.  Next thing we knew it, it was midnight, the countdown was blasting on the club's TV and then it was 2014.  I rung in the new year with my husband, a whack of my K-Crew boys and even WOW President showed up as did one of my members who lives close by.  It was really great to have many of our close friends meet T-Boy and see how he interacted with them.  Snickers thinks he feels most comfortable with me because he stuck by my side for the most part and he let me hug him at midnight.

Old city hall was hosting a concert so after we all hugged and cheered (and smooched -- Snickers and I) at the strike of midnight, we ran outside to enjoy the wicked firework show they put on.  And, for a New Year's Eve that was supposed to be low key and quiet, it surely wasn't but it was definitely so very cool. 

After celebrating at Hulk's, Snickers dropped me off at home.  He, T-Boy and some of the K-Crew boys wanted to stay up all night at a local sauna house and then trek up a local mountain to see the first sunrise of 2014.  As for me, I called up my dad and then spent the next few hours of 2014 playing with the K-Bere brothers, Pacquiao and Balboa.  Went to bed at 6am.

No comments: