As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, December 16, 2013

Chitter Chatter... Monday, December 16

New plan -- I go running before work four times a week, timing it so that it ends right before the start of work and ending my run at the steps of Hulk's.  Then, around 3/4pm, Snickers leaves the club to go running.  I decided to jog to Christmas carols today, more so by accident actually. Started my MapMyRun tracking app on my phone and then pressed "resumed play" on 8tracks, totally forgetting that I had listened to a playlist dedicated to Christmas carols in the morning. It ended up working really well with keeping my pacing up... and my holiday spirit up too.

Mother Nature is such a tease here in Korea and it's only when I am out winter running do I envy my friends in Canada for all the snow they are getting.  I don't find snow particularly pretty nor do I enjoy loading up the layers just to go outside and then return home with numb limbs and a frosty nose, but I do love the snow for winter running!!!  I've only had the joy of two winter runs this year being accompanied with snow to run in. Now we're back to a brown winter with the temperature rising a bit and the snow being mostly gone.  

Last night Snickers oozed with cuteness as he tried to learn The First Noel.  He never did really learn to read in English and his spelling is worse than his reading, if that's really possible.  He is getting better though but there are still many things lost in translation in our everyday conversations.  Here's today's lost in translation blub...


Me: I support you Baby Boy.
Him: You...uh... what mean?
Me: I support you.  Support, like a... hmm... bra. 
Him: Ohhhhh... you control.
Me: No, that's not what I mean but you'd like that.
Him: Ya... 


In a matter of a few lines, our heart-to-heart talk about a serious subject drastically changed tones and got rather flirtatious, nice.  

Yesterday I told Snickers about how in Canada at Christmas time they broadcast a burning fireplace scene on TV. Snickers was so confused. Today I showed him a YouTube video of it and he was so amused.  Many of our members were amused too. It played on our club TV for ten straight hours and I loved it.  Am convinced our Korean members think us foreigners go strange and deranged for Christmas. It took much convincing on my behalf and to call out two foreigners under the mistletoe together for them to believe I wasn't making it up. And now a TV channel that plays a repetitive burning fireplace.  "Listen," I told one member, "Your country has made a national holiday over giving chocolate-dipped phallic symbols (ppeppero) to those they like.  Who's the strange one now?!"

We've got quite the young crowd at Hulk's with WOW President (48) and I (33) being the oldest but, after months of me being the oldest female at Hulk's, we just recently have had the pleasant addition of two other females my age. One is a few months younger than me while the other is almost a year older. Both are as super sweet as they are petite, both train hard and both definitely don't look or act their age.  I scored bonus points from the one when I told her my dog's name is Pacquiao -- a name I'm definitely surprised to hear that more people living in Asia are unfamiliar with.  Hello Manny Pacquiao, he's only probably the most famous Asian boxer -- he's like a God in the Philippines, which coincidently is where this particular gal is from.  

I love that we have two female members over 30, now I'm not representing and redefining what it means to be, to act, or to look as an above 30 year old woman.  I love being over 30 and I wouldn't want to be in my 20's.  I still have a few more years to go but I am honestly looking forward to turning 36. 36 is my "golden age". It's the age to which I always thought I will have figured everything out for myself -- the dream job, the house, the body, and the financial security.   I have the dream job already set up and in motion, it's just a matter of tweeking it more and paying off the loan it required.  Paying off the loan would mean we'd be able to start saving for the financial security I crave.  I have a great apartment -- hello, my place has 12 rooms -- but I'd love to move from our current apartment to a house with a yard for my four-legged beauties, a place out of downtown where the downtown noise and drama can't find us.  And as for my body, it's still very much a work in process but everyday I'm better than yesterday.  I am healthier and more physically fit than I was when I was in my 20's so I'm very much curious as to how I'll be when I'm 36.  It'd be nice to be kind of like the Tosco Reno of Cheonan -- kicking butt, dropping jaws in and outside of the ring, and shocking people when revealing my age proves just how vital health really is.

No comments: