As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, December 01, 2013

Commitment-phobia... Sunday, December 1

Welcome to December, the final month of this year but perhaps the busiest month for us at Hulk's.  Today we kicked off the month with the start of our advent calendar and our Christmas wish ornament activity.  Our daily attendance numbers have been on a steady up rise so that's awesome but it also means we're go-go-go.  This past Friday was our busiest Free Train Friday since opening as was today our busiest Sunday ever.  Fridays and Sundays are usually a bit more laid back and relaxed at Hulk's but this wasn't the case this week.
 
I had to go into Hulk's super early today, roughly 5 hours early, because I could clean the whole club before the yoga class started at noon.  One of our members (Scooter Girl) was hosting a yoga class as a means of raising money for a dog she rescued off the street.  The club hadn't been cleaned on Friday and I couldn't exactly let them lay on a dirty floor for yoga, that's not cool.  Friday was so busy though and instead of being able to start cleaning early, before closing, I simply left.  I was so tired and I had my sore hubby waiting for me at home. 
 
I've basically fired the cleaning kid, just haven't really made it official.  I didn't want to do, hence my delay in making it official, because he's a good kid.  It's his tag-along friends that drive me mental and every week it seems to be a new set of friends with a new batch of annoyance.  I lost it on them one week when one kid refused to take off his outdoor shoes.  He was a cocky kid, obviously the popular kid at school, but so what.  It takes me about an hour and a half to bleach the whole floor so having some kid trek through it while I'm scrubbing away is by no means cool.  When I asked him who he thought I was, he simply snickered and then walked in wearing his shoes. 
 
Anyone who is anyone in Korea knows that at many places you are required to take off your shoes, like fitness centers and even many restaurants, the line of slippers that sit at the front doors is the obvious hint.  However, this particular kid and another one of his friends chose to ignore this and me telling him to take off his shoes.  It was an obvious case where if I were an old crusty man, not even necessarily Korean, then he would have given me the due respect and not have punked off my question.  I wasn't going to stand there arguing with the kid, trying to convince him why at my club he has to follow my rules, so I yelled at him.  I yelled "Get the f*#^ out of my club!"  It was short, definitely not sweet but now there was nothing to argue.  I've never said the f-word before -- the "f-bomb" as some of my friends call it -- and now I know exactly why they call it that.  Yelling it felt like I had just detonated a bomb.
 
I haven't let my cleaning kid come clean the club since so now I clean it alone.  It costs me an extra hour to clean it alone -- roughly 2 hours in total  -- but it surely outweighs the stress it cost me to deal with his tag-alongs.  I simply crank up some tunes and then clean like a women on a mission. 
 
Cleaned the whole club, did a load of club laundry, fed and exhausted Pyen Chi, and got in my second meal with a half an hour before the yoga class arrived.  There were supposedly 10 participants signed up for the yoga class but only 3 showed up -- 2 out of the 10 and 1 last minute participant.  I felt really bad for Scooter Girl and I knew she was frustrated but I definitely could relate -- hello Flipside Fitness events and even Hulk events.  Many people really have a problem with commitment.  It's as if they'll only commit until something better comes up or until it's not convenient, like a someone who breaks a commitment so they can sleep in.  It's very discouraging but it's become somewhat expected.  For every five people who commit, there will be 2, maybe even 3, who will back out last minute.  It's because of having experienced the pure disappointment of what feels like an increase of commitment-phobic people that I really try hard not to break my own promises with others and follow through with the commitments I've made.  
 
I had suggested to her that she make the participants pay beforehand but I know even that doesn't promise commitment -- hello Thanksgiving dinner.  Out of all fairness, the event was to raise money for a particular dog, and I think out of the goodness of their heart those who skipped out last minute should at least offer to donate their yoga class fee.  It was disappointing to see Scooter Girl try to work up a lot of hype for the event and then be let down by others, not only because she really does need the financial help for the dog but also because hosting the class gives her great instructional experience.  She loves teaching yoga like I loved teaching my boxercise class, so I could relate with the disappointment and frustrating she experienced today.  She did good though, really great.  She's a licensed yoga instructor and her class is the only English yoga class you'll find in Cheonan but it's not a regular thing.  Today's class was one of two special yoga classes she did as a fundraiser so a lot of possible participants missed out on something they may never get to experience again.  It was their loss. 

No comments: