As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, December 23, 2013

Confirming Chaos for the Holidays... Monday, December 23

Hulk's was buzzing with visitors today, confirming what we already have been anticipating.  With the school winter vacation starting on December 31st, many are now already looking for what to do during their holidays.  I'm eager to see if many of our university students return for training. I miss many of them especially because many of them were our first batch of members to join outside of our friends and Flipside Fitness.  I've put them on my list of things to do -- text messaging many of our students to tell them we miss them.  I'm especially eager to hear whether or not my former training partner, Double D Bulldog, will be returning.  Still to this day he is the best training partner I've ever had in Korea, not to mention probably one of the top ten bodies at Hulk's!  

Tonight marked the start of my holiday and I joked on Facebook that it basically meant I'd be coming into Hulk's everyday to work but not getting paid to do so.  Who am I kidding though, running a business means you don't really get a paycheck.  Money comes in but no sooner does it come in but it's already designated towards some kind of bill, renovation or needed expense.  I should correct myself though because I won't be coming in everyday, I'll be sleeping and living there for the most part, till official work and coaching resumes that is.  We have a lot to prepare for the new year -- new trainer, Hulk calendars, advertisement, New Year's discount kick-off, etc.  There is always work to be done and this chunk of "time off" poses as the perfect chance for us to work on it all without any interruptions.

Of course there are other things I'd love to get done during the holidays, things that aren't Hulk-related.  I I've got some dealings with Gamble Tattoo to tend to, one of which is me getting them to finish up my tattoo.  Am banking on doing it in a one-shot sitting as supposed to the suggested two sittings.  Moreover, a fellow pro boxer friend of mine has family in from Canada so he'll be showing them our club on the 26th.  Snickers has hinted that he wants to take me out for some kind of romantic date out in Seoul but not sure what day that will be.  And then there is of course New Year's Eve next week.  We're still very much up in the air as to what we're doing.  Originally we were thinking of hosting a private party at Hulk's but now we're contemplating other ideas as friends who also have their own businesses are wanting to collaborate with us and plan something.  This holiday will be anything but relaxing and I may need a holiday from this holiday when it's over.



No comments: